Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet - Why the Bad Rap!

I hear people slam Cub Cadet all the time, but from what I can see, it's totally unwarranted.

The Grounds Company that handles our community areas use Cub Cadet, and the Cut Quality is Excellent and the Stripes look Beautiful. They use one, Z-Force Commercial 48" Lap, and two Commercial Tanks 60" Laps.

I watch them maneuver in and out of moderately steep ditches and climb up, down, and along landscape berms with ease. We have two big ponds, and they cut those ponds out well enough that the guys on the string trimmers just have a little touch up here and there. I also see them cutting at good speed too. I talked with these guys and the owner loved them, and said he had over 1500-hours on the two bigger units with no real maintenance issues, and the smaller Z-Force had around 800-hours and so far no issues with it either. Now one of the kids driving the mower said he liked it, but liked another brand mower better (a fast cat).

I know people think of them as a Big Box Mowers, and for whatever reason that is suppose to make them a lesser mower? But I don't think you can buy a Commercial Cub Cadet out of a Big Box, at least I've never see one in a big box.

But there is a guy in the area who cuts smaller residential lawns with a Cub Cadet Wide Area 33" or 34" and it too leaves an Excellent cut. I stopped and asked him what he thought, and he said he has been using it for 2-years now and other than regular maintenance (blades & oil changes), he has had no problems with it and he had over 300-hours on it. He had a Commercial Honda 21 on his trailer, but said he preferred the Cubby because of its bigger deck. He was also using a Toro Timecutter MX 50" Zero Turn for his commercial business, which he loved too. I'm not picking on him, all his equipment is paid off and making him enough money he had a $7,000 enclosed trailer and a 2010 F250 Pickup that he said he paid cash for them. so clap clap for him! Point being, he loved his Cub Cadet Wide Area mower and had no real maintenance issue with it.

So why are the Cub being slammed?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No dealers around here. I think their limited by distribution. I don't see much slamming of the commercials, I just don't see many guys on here running them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

There's only one dealer in Austin and they are worse than bad. I haven't seen a LCO run a Cub in this area and there's very few guys on this site that run them. From what I understand there's little support for them, kind of like Tanaka. They might build a good product....maybe...but I'm not going to chance it with a piss poor dealer and little support.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cub commercial mowers started life as MTD commerical mowers. Need I say any more?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Cub commercial mowers started life as MTD commerical mowers. Need I say any more?
But is that true today?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
But is that true today?
Well, it is Cub Cadet, they are owned my MTD and they are only one step up from a MTD.

If you like the mowers then buy them. Don't worry about what anybody else says. It's also unlikely that you'll change anybody's mind by arguing in favor of the Cub Cadet.

Hell, if I listened to most of the people here at Lawnsite, I would have sold my Dixie Chopper and bought another Exmark a long time ago. I'm happy with my Dixie and I don't care who doesn't like them.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagguy View Post
There's only one dealer in Austin and they are worse than bad. I haven't seen a LCO run a Cub in this area and there's very few guys on this site that run them. From what I understand there's little support for them, kind of like Tanaka. They might build a good product....maybe...but I'm not going to chance it with a piss poor dealer and little support.
Same up here, we have no dealers and I have never seen one in use by a commercial company.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a high end Cub Cadet lawn tractor in 1990, 16hp Kohler, 46" cut, hydrostatic drive.

Electric clutch burned out at about 4 hours, then transmission locked up at beginning of my second season of homeowner use only. The factory had no applied any anti sieze to wheels, so dealer ruined a wheel getting it off the axel.

Deck was good, excellent spindles, housings and bearings. No problems there. Tabs for deck hangers were too small an,d simply butt welded on and would constantly break requiring trip to welding shop.

The Kohler engine was good, except for starter which I had to tear down, clean and lubricate a couple of times. Then only thing that has been replaced on that mower has been a couple of sealed bearing idler pulleys.

Honestly with the trouble I had with the CC I will bad mouth them until the day I die and will never again have anything made by them.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Well, it is Cub Cadet, they are owned my MTD and they are only one step up from a MTD.

If you like the mowers then buy them. Don't worry about what anybody else says. It's also unlikely that you'll change anybody's mind by arguing in favor of the Cub Cadet.

Hell, if I listened to most of the people here at Lawnsite, I would have sold my Dixie Chopper and bought another Exmark a long time ago. I'm happy with my Dixie and I don't care who doesn't like them.
I was telling the Bad Boy Rep, the best deck design has to go to Dixie Chopper because I saw them cut 14" grass and never leave a stringer. I was FLOORED!

Oh.. I wasn't trying to change anyone's mind, just wondering the reason why the slamming...
Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

the Cub Cadet commercial walkbehinds are same as Lesco, Lesco seems to be a fair mower some swear by them. The other models seem to be kind of cheaply made.
Closed Thread