Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got it from Denny Jones in Cambridge. I had talked to Gary in Salisbury late fall of last year.I demoed it ,liked it, but the numbers didn't work. I told him i would do something this year. The time came, I called him, told him to get me some numbers again. He never got back to me. So i got it here. I ended up switching to stihl stuff too, that way I just had to deal with one good dealer.

Who were you talking to about a walker, Burke? There is a guy in easton that sells walker and scag. He is a smaller dealer that i got my walker used from. I was talking about a scag diesel , and he worked up a pretty good price for me, but service is hard to beat against a bigger dealer like JD. Especially when i went through such bad service the past couple years with another small dealer
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Denny? Hmm Ive never dealt with him, is that at atlantic tractor in Cambridge?

On the Walker I talked to Burke and a guy that sells them up in Lewes DE. I really dont like the service options at either. Most of the companies in Salisbury that have walkers go to Lewes to get service b/c they say Burke is so bad, but the guy in Lewes is a one man shop, so not the fastest plus over an hour away. Thats a main reason I decided not to get a walker now, no real good service options. My JD dealer used to sell them lol I wish they still did.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Denny Jones is in Cambridge his family actually started the cambridge branch.It use to be Jones implment before it was atlantic.

Service seems to be a common problem with walker.I think its actually a walker thing to not a dealer thing. From my understanding they are very hard to deal with from the dealers side of things.The near about break you before you ever get started. To become a dealer you have to buy like 10 units and when they arrive must be paid in full. There is also next to no mark up on parts and i belive that the dealer has to stock a certain amount of them. I really don't know why any dealer would want to carry them exept for the fact they are a good product. The big dealer probbally dont want to tie up that much money and room for a product that isnt going to sell like a normally ztr.

Not to discouage you from a walker, but depending on what your looking to do with it a ztr with bagger may be a better suit for you. I know you said you do a lot of different types of yards and i can tell you that on the crappy one's the ztr with bagger will be better. If your intenions are just to use it on the good ones i'd go walker.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't speak for this mower's cut but I would give a kubota ZD 221 with a 21hp diesel, 48 inch deck, 6inches deep, wet clutch, true pto, with a bagger, and the msrp is about $13,500 with everything you need, so you should be able to pick it up for about $12,000 with a 2 yr unlimited hr warranty and you can upgrade it to 4 yr. Ive looking at walker and I personally was not impressed. I have the zd326 and I have 700hrs on it with it just being over a year old and have not had an issue with it yet.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I can't speak for this mower's cut but I would give a kubota ZD 221 with a 21hp diesel, 48 inch deck, 6inches deep, wet clutch, true pto, with a bagger, and the msrp is about $13,500 with everything you need, so you should be able to pick it up for about $12,000 with a 2 yr unlimited hr warranty and you can upgrade it to 4 yr. Ive looking at walker and I personally was not impressed. I have the zd326 and I have 700hrs on it with it just being over a year old and have not had an issue with it yet.
Have you used a walker before ?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was looking at it from a mechanical perspective and working on it after a couple years. I actually know the guy who designed the super B and I posted pics of a mower that guy made and is selling. Like he said "if you pour a cup of water over the engine compartment and it comes out the bottom then something wrong". Just so many freaking parts in a small area. I did not like how thin the deck or the blades were for starters but if your only using it on high end accounts then it will be fine. Honestly my though was this mower is going to nickle and dime me to death after 1000 hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is no debate on that the walker was designed to give a superb manicured cut. They are not designed for rough mowing, except for the super B.
This is not to say they won't do rough cut mowing.

As for the maint after 1000 hrs. It all depends on how they've been maintained BEFORE 1000 hrs.

I bought a used one in Jan of 11. 2879 hours. Sure I've put some money into it but its nothing more than I'd expect to do had I bought it new and now its a machine with over 3200 hours.

When I bought it I had my uncle's shop go thru it and check for issues.
Changed all fluids and belts, took the engine out to clean out the dirt behind the shrouds and service the starter.

This summer I changed both hydros (over 3000 hrs on the machine). At some point in time the heads got too hot and were letting the head gaskets leak a little. Had that taken care of along with a new key switch.

Once the end of season hits I plan to have my uncle change the blower and housing as its getting pretty worn.
Again over 3000 hours while his own crew's mowers have let go of two blowers/housings this summer with less hours than mine.

Over all for a machine north of 3000 hours I can't complain.

My JD 777 mid mount with FAR FAR less hours (636 hours) has needed a new water pump, new clutch and smokes very badly. Like I said, it all depends on how they've been taken care of.
I bought the mower used and didn't realize how much oil it was burning until it started working.
The plan is to have my uncle look into that as well. I'm hoping its a ring thing not need a new engine. $$$$$$
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
There is no debate on that the walker was designed to give a superb manicured cut. They are not designed for rough mowing, except for the super B.
This is not to say they won't do rough cut mowing.

As for the maint after 1000 hrs. It all depends on how they've been maintained BEFORE 1000 hrs.

I bought a used one in Jan of 11. 2879 hours. Sure I've put some money into it but its nothing more than I'd expect to do had I bought it new and now its a machine with over 3200 hours.

When I bought it I had my uncle's shop go thru it and check for issues.
Changed all fluids and belts, took the engine out to clean out the dirt behind the shrouds and service the starter.

This summer I changed both hydros (over 3000 hrs on the machine). At some point in time the heads got too hot and were letting the head gaskets leak a little. Had that taken care of along with a new key switch.

Once the end of season hits I plan to have my uncle change the blower and housing as its getting pretty worn.
Again over 3000 hours while his own crew's mowers have let go of two blowers/housings this summer with less hours than mine.

Over all for a machine north of 3000 hours I can't complain.

My JD 777 mid mount with FAR FAR less hours (636 hours) has needed a new water pump, new clutch and smokes very badly. Like I said, it all depends on how they've been taken care of.
I bought the mower used and didn't realize how much oil it was burning until it started working.
The plan is to have my uncle look into that as well. I'm hoping its a ring thing not need a new engine. $$$$$$
I 100 percent agree is just that more parts means more to go wrong. Its like my grasshopper there is always something small wrong because there is so much to go wrong. It has 7 belts, 3 idler pullies, lots of seals, tons of bearings its like a walker. My kubota has a deck belt and a alternator belt and it should be a couple thousand hrs before a bearing goes out because they are all greaseable. Its 2 machines for 2 different purposes. I just threw out the kubota because besides walker it is the only 48inch diesel that I know out there and cheaper I think all around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't hate on the hopper.

MJSTEF will come by to slap you, lol.
But he'll hate on the walker allllllll day.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always looked at walkers as a specialty machine. I would like to have more accounts that would justify a walker personally. But a 48" deck with a deck mounted blower isnt very compact. And this is where a walker will win.

Tags
walker , walker diesel