Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best thing to paint underside of deck??

I was curious if anyone has had any luck with painting the under side of used mower decks.....??

We were going to just take the decks off have them blasted and powder coat them. I figure that is prolly the best way........ Just didnt know if anyone has found anything that will last longer UNDER THE DECK???? Like electrostatic painting, or we even thought about that paint that is out that is kinda rippley looking that folks use on the bottom of doors and rocker pannels of trucks?????

by the way, the reasoning for my quesiton is for the simple fact that we have realized that on our scag z's that once the paint has has slowly gone away that they don't spit or disperse the clippings nearly as well. We have 2 scag 61" velocity deck tiger cubs that are 2 yeas old and I thought that they werent doing as well as when they were new but thought it may just be my imagination. Then I decided to but another mower (same but changed name to tiger cat)......... Man that new one does soooooo much better than the old ones at dispersing and hardly has any grass buildup under the deck compared to the other decks that are unpainted (we do clean these every 2 days)....... Anyways this is why Im asking the question.

Anyone with experience with this I would appreciate any info!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You don't.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You don't.
I know I don't HAVE TO, but if you read my entire post above the decks that have the painted underside not only disperse better but also do not accumulate lots of debris under the deck as often.

These are 3 identical mowers. The new one does way better job. There cutting the same height. Only difference is painted underside.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I were to coat the underside of the deck it would be an industrial epoxy
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
I know I don't HAVE TO, but if you read my entire post above the decks that have the painted underside not only disperse better but also do not accumulate lots of debris under the deck as often.

These are 3 identical mowers. The new one does way better job. There cutting the same height. Only difference is painted underside.
I'm with herler don't bother.

I know YOU say they disperse better and do not accumulate as much but I honestly find that hard to believe.

my 3 year old grandstand disperses just as well as it did on day one and the accumulation underneath is no more or no less than day one. the underside has NEVER been painted after purchasing.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm with herler don't bother.

I know YOU say they disperse better and do not accumulate as much but I honestly find that hard to believe.

my 3 year old grandstand disperses just as well as it did on day one and the accumulation underneath is no more or no less than day one. the underside has NEVER been painted after purchasing.
Find it hard to believe if you want. I don't just make $hit up to put on here. It is FACTS.

I can get along just fine I guess without painting. I talked my uncle into buying a scag with velocity deck and he agrees his doesnt disperse the way it used to although still better than the exmark mowers we used to own.......
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If I were to coat the underside of the deck it would be an industrial epoxy
Would you just use a brush or??????? This stuff you don't think would pit?? This idea did run across my mind but didnt know if it would be better or not.. Thanks for your positive response.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Find it hard to believe if you want. I don't just make $hit up to put on here. It is FACTS.

I can get along just fine I guess without painting. I talked my uncle into buying a scag with velocity deck and he agrees his doesnt disperse the way it used to although still better than the exmark mowers we used to own.......
You're not alone here bro. There's been a ton of posts about this very same thing here in this forum over the last year alone. A deck will ALWAYS perform its best when new and the paint is still all smooth and shiny, but they start to collect more debris once the paint comes off and the bare metal gets a sand blasted finish to it. The only thing that should make it discharge worse though would be if too much crap collects underneath slowing airflow and reducing vacume effect. That would take a fair amount of debris though.

I agree on some sort of industrial epoxy finish as being the best way to go for durability, but even it will eventually come off, and it's just too expensive to keep doing.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You're not alone here bro. There's been a ton of posts about this very same thing here in this forum over the last year alone. A deck will ALWAYS perform its best when new and the paint is still all smooth and shiny, but they start to collect more debris once the paint comes off and the bare metal gets a sand blasted finish to it. The only thing that should make it discharge worse though would be if too much crap collects underneath slowing airflow and reducing vacume effect. That would take a fair amount of debris though.

I agree on some sort of industrial epoxy finish as being the best way to go for durability, but even it will eventually come off, and it's just too expensive to keep doing.
It likely would extend the life of the deck. The question is does that matter much in the overall life of the mower.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
It likely would extend the life of the deck. The question is does that matter much in the overall life of the mower.
Where I am at, I seriously doubt it would even extend the life of the deck any, but I can see it doing so down where you are. You no doubt have sandier soil than I do here.