Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MSU has the best pics. And if you look at the nimblewill, it is unbelievably close and still hard to tell:

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/nimblewill_44/

With that said, a previous poster and MSU both say that the goosegrass has whitish stems that are concentrated at the base. I think at least to most of us that is the only differentiator that is obvious.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I don't remember having this issue last year and the large amount is kind of puzzling. At this point I'll probably just let it go & spray it with gly after the bermuda goes into dormancy?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the seedhead makes it obvious. The seedhead in the OP's pix are nowhere near Poa or nimblewill seedheads. It's clearly goosegrass.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I think the seedhead makes it obvious. The seedhead in the OP's pix are nowhere near Poa or nimblewill seedheads. It's clearly goosegrass.
So should I just let it go until I spray my winter weeds with gly or should I be treating it now? Or does it really even make a difference when it's treated?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
So should I just let it go until I spray my winter weeds with gly or should I be treating it now? Or does it really even make a difference when it's treated?
Goosegrass is a summer annual weed and will die with the onset of frost, which is due near the end of October in your part of the world. Then, you can apply a pre-emergent in the spring to target goosegrass and other weeds. Dithiopyr, prodiamine, and pendimethalin usually show pretty good control of goosegrass and are labeled for lawn use.

If you really need to spray it now (customer demand, etc), your choices are limited. Mature goosegrass plants are hard to kill and not many products are labeled for its post-emergence control in bermudagrass lawns. Revolver has goosegrass on its label, but its control is spotty. Goosegrass is not listed on the Dismiss label, but FMC claims you can get control up to the 4 leaf stage.

At this point in the year, you're well beyond the 4 leaf stage. For my money, I would wait on it this year, let it die in the winter, then have my pre-emerge down by late March/early April next spring (sequential apps will extend your control, too).

Hope this helps!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Goosegrass is a summer annual weed and will die with the onset of frost, which is due near the end of October in your part of the world. Then, you can apply a pre-emergent in the spring to target goosegrass and other weeds. Dithiopyr, prodiamine, and pendimethalin usually show pretty good control of goosegrass and are labeled for lawn use.

If you really need to spray it now (customer demand, etc), your choices are limited. Mature goosegrass plants are hard to kill and not many products are labeled for its post-emergence control in bermudagrass lawns. Revolver has goosegrass on its label, but its control is spotty. Goosegrass is not listed on the Dismiss label, but FMC claims you can get control up to the 4 leaf stage.

At this point in the year, you're well beyond the 4 leaf stage. For my money, I would wait on it this year, let it die in the winter, then have my pre-emerge down by late March/early April next spring (sequential apps will extend your control, too).

Hope this helps!
I couldn't understand why all of a sudden this year it's an issue and now I know....I didn't put down any pre emergent this year. Thanks