Register free!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HO LEE MOLE EE I got got worms!!!!

Can these little guys really do this much damage in such a short time? This is on my own yard. I just mowed maybe 3 days ago and I noticed this tonight. since I just mow and go, this bug thing ain't my area. PLEASE HELP ME. So far the damage is contained to about a quarter acre but I fear this might spread and wipe out all 3 acres. I don't have a applicators license so whatever I use has gotta come over the counter from Lowes or some other garden center. PLEASE HELP. The good news is that I got some good bait this evening for my weekend perch trip
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

heres some more pics
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have "worms". You have grubs. The torn up damage is not from the grubs either. It's from a racoon or skunk digging for them. They can smell them just under the surface and will tear a lawn up like that overnight sometimes just to get to them for supper.

Buy some Grub-Ex from Lowe's or HD or something simillar from Bayer, and treat the yard. No grubs equals no racoons or skunks 98% of the time.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You don't have "worms". You have grubs. The torn up damage is not from the grubs either. It's from a racoon or skunk digging for them. They can smell them just under the surface and will tear a lawn up like that overnight sometimes just to get to them for supper.

Buy some Grub-Ex from Lowe's or HD or something simillar from Bayer, and treat the yard. No grubs equals no racoons or skunks 98% of the time.
pretty much says it all...It wil take some time for your lawn to recover but once you put down the grub ex you should be fine
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
pretty much says it all...It wil take some time for your lawn to recover but once you put down the grub ex you should be fine

Yep,

and make sure you follow the app instructions on the bag. If you aren't sure how much product your spreader puts out (if you have one now), it's a lot cheaper to buy one of those Scotts Speedy Green 3000 rotary spreaders and get it right than to replace your entire lawn.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

great, thanks for the info. The torn up areas are actually from me. My chickens had rooted the area up pretty bad just today, that's what made me notice it. Then I went investigating, found the perfect little grubs for perch fishing and couldn't stop myself

I have a Scotts spreader, I'll grab some of that stuff at the Depot or somewhere on my way home tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ's Mowing View Post
great, thanks for the info. The torn up areas are actually from me. My chickens had rooted the area up pretty bad just today, that's what made me notice it. Then I went investigating, found the perfect little grubs for perch fishing and couldn't stop myself

I have a Scotts spreader, I'll grab some of that stuff at the Depot or somewhere on my way home tomorrow. Thanks again
Trust me, if you hadn't done that yourself, the 'coons would have shortly. I hate racoons.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

Ridin' you're exactly right!

Last year part of my yard looked that way and I found out it was the work of armadillos. By waiting several nights from 11PM to 1AM (their dinner time) I finally got rid of them with the help of a 12 ga.

Just a few days ago I noticed the "divots" once again and got my little buddy "Mr 12 ga" to help me out once more. After sitting in my truck for a couple of nights (once again at their "dinner time") I found out that it was a racoon this time.

I missed a good shot at him because I couldn't see my sights in the darkness. So, I'm picking up either night sights or a laser for the 12 ga tomorrow.

If your conditions are dry you'll notice they head for the places that are easiest to dig....like over "field lines".

Good luck with them, they'll ruin your yard if you don't get rid of them
Stan
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dylox works better than Grub-x for killing grubs. Its over the counter at local garden centers around here.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grub-Ex prevents grubs, it will not do anything to help your current problem. You are past that now. Gene is correct, what you need is Dylox or "Grub Killer". Put it down as quickly as possible and water in immediatly. They won't stop eating until you stop 'em!