Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I ask this question again, why buy a BB stander out of all brands???
Posted via Mobile Device
Who knows, maybe he liked the color, maybe he identified with the brand name. Its irrelevant either way.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
This is incorrect as I have been following all of his threads. The OP has worked with his dealer and only got a hydro adjustment. He has also emailed BB directly a couple times with no response. I know when I email Stihl, Scag or Gravely I always get a response within 1-2 business days. BB has dropped the ball again....
Posted via Mobile Device
BB is an amazing company with absolutely the best cs I have ever been witness to. I have seen it all, and have seen them do more from a factory stance than anyone, including even any car manufacturer. In fact, I just got through replacing a frame yesterday on a mower that is nearly 4 years old and had a crack on a weld, factory told me instead of just trying to weld up just replace the whole frame! No other mower company out there would have replaced the frame, expecially at their cost. I have never had a customer with an issue not get fast smooth results. Don't know about a customer emailing the factory, but I know as a dealer working as a consumer's direct line to the factory, I assume that is why manufacturers have independently owned dealers to sell and deal with the public directly. I as a dealer have most of the guys cell phone numbers that work at the plant, and have had to on occasion call after hours and on the weekends to get warranty, parts, and tech answers questions for customers.
And why the bad boy stander...it is built like a tank. 5 guage deck, massive frame, power deck lift, fold out design, its one of the slickest built. I do agree the deck is an overkill...lol, but it is around 37% stouter than any of the competition's ztr commercial decks... $6000 is a good deal compared to dishing out more for a less built machine, hands down BB offers more for the money than the whole industry...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"

Last edited by retrodog; 09-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
BB is an amazing company with absolutely the best cs I have ever been witness to. I have seen it all, and have seen them do more from a factory stance than anyone, including even any car manufacturer. In fact, I just got through replacing a frame yesterday on a mower that is nearly 4 years old and had a crack on a weld, factory told me instead of just trying to weld up just replace the whole frame! No other mower company out there would have replaced the frame, expecially at their cost. I have never had a customer with an issue not get fast smooth results. Don't know about a customer emailing the factory, but I know as a dealer working as a consumer's direct line to the factory, I assume that is why manufacturers have independently owned dealers to sell and deal with the public directly. I as a dealer have most of the guys cell phone numbers that work at the plant, and have had to on occasion call after hours and on the weekends to get warranty, parts, and tech answers questions for customers.
Im pretty sure most major companies now have a lifetime deck and frame warranty. I have read many many BB customer service horror stories on LS. Most vanish and I cant believe this one is still up...

Like I have said in the past, you seem to know who to call to get things done at BB. You seem like a great dealer with great customer service. Unfortunately for BB your one of the few...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 09-18-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion someone from BB should have been here by now to do something about this. At least some damage control! Instead they do nothing and here one of their dealers who seems to have more pride in BBs name than they do is left to try and defend them of his own accord. What is going on at this company?!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I was working with Saxton Garden who was Ferris & Wright dealer (who is currently going out business after 83-years, but that's another story.) Because I was really wanting the Ferris Evolution 36". But Saxton was 25-miles away, and All Season is about 1.5-miles away. So I stopped by before I went out to Saxton. Anyways, they just got this Bad Boy Outlaw Stander in, and I looked at it and thought it was a TANK. Everything about was BIG! 54" deck, big motor, 1/2" casters, big tires, 1/4" thick deck, and I asked if they made a 36" and they said no. Since I wanted the 36", I left and went to Saxton's, and when I got there the owner put his rep on speaker phone and I was told they couldn't get me a 36" Wright or Ferris for about 3-weeks - that 36 inchers where popular in the Northeast, and Florida, but not so much in Michigan, Ohio, etc.

Now what you don't know is, I was working with a friend at the beginning of this season and things between us just broke down, so this was May 31, and waiting for 3-weeks would have put me out till the end of June, and if I started now it was going to be hard enough to survive this season, if I waited till the end of June I be cooked before I even got into the fire. So I thought if I was going to be forced to buy a 48" plus deck, the thought of that TANK just kept me from pulling the trigger on the Wright or Ferris, which looked less Industrious than that Bad Boy. Besides, I got a bad feeling about Saxton and now that they are going out of business, maybe my gut feeling paid off.

So anyways, I went back to All Season to take a closer look at that Bad Boy. Now on my way back, Country Side Dealership in Ann Arbor called me and told me he could give me a "Sweet Deal" on a Cub Cadet S6031 TANK S. Normally a $13999 mower for $8,999 with only 20-hours on it. I really liked this mower too, especially liked its hill and slope capability. But again, I just bought a trailer and I mean JUST BOUGHT IT and registered it, and that mower was too big for it. I was bummed, cause if I was going big, that would have been a GREAT MOWER! So anyways, I went back to All Season. I could have bought any mower they had, but I wanted a stand on because I was focusing on residential and I thought a Stand On would be the perfect mower for maneuvering around all the landscape. When I got back, I asked how this would handle my weight and I was reassured it would handle me and perform well. And maybe, he thought it would! He is a Young Man, but he has been in the business all his life. But if he didn't, I just wish he would have had the balls to say (because if I was selling I would have), "You know Sir, you are a big man, and while this mower might be able to handle you... This Outlaw Extreme or Grasshopper would probably be a much better mower for a person of your size." But he didn't, he just knew I wanted a stand on, and he wanted to sell me a stand on because of it. Yeah when I sold cars for a while (I was actually the Sales and F&I Manager for Prestige Automotive Group and Carnahan Chevrolet) I lost some sales because a customer wanted a 1500 and after talking with them and knowing what they were going to use the truck for, I kept insisting they needed a minimum of a 2500, and should have a 2500HD or 3500HD. But I would rather loose the sale than sell them something that was not going to work!

But that is why I bought the BB. Not my first choice! Not my second Choice! Not even my third Choice! But thinking about it, if the HEAVY DUTY BB is giving me trouble because of my weight, chances are the Evolution or Wright might be screwing with me now too, and with Saxton going out of business now, my dealer would either be 150-miles to the west side of the state or 160-miles away in Ohio. Now... I automatically threw out Toro and eXmark at the time, because that was what my buddy was using and I know he paid $15,000+ for his mowers, so I thought all their mowers were that type of money.

Welll, BB is currently working on my mower, and replacing or rebuilding the hydros as we speak. I apologized to Mark for calling him out on this forum, as it was just out of frustration!!! Mark told me it would be a couple days to get my mower repaired, so now I'm going to be behind the 8-ball when I get my mower back. I'll be working Saturday and Sunday to catch up.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Saxtons in Plymouth? Thats to bad i liked that place. Ive worked in lawn care in that area for almost 15 years
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know much (nothing really) about stand on mowers but unless your standing between the drive wheels I would expect some kind of leverage if standing behind them. 300lbs (135kg or so) is pretty damn heavy. From what Ive read in the OPs other thread, it all started out well, stoked with dealer etc and its gone down hill from there. I understand his frustrations but the surely the weight issue should of been picked up from the get go.
What Im saying is that he probably should never have been sold a stand on with this kind of design.

That said, putting some weight over the front should be an easy task. For testing, just grab some 5 or 6" pvc pipe, 2 caps, fill it with wet sand or similar and cable tie it on on between the castors or on top over that plate thats over the deck. Cable ties are temp and if it works come up with a better way. Cheap and easy.

If one hydro is grabbing more than the other then the dealer should sort that.
Tearing of grass could/may be reduced (I ass u me) by shifting body weight onto the troublesome wheel. Lower tire psi may also help but may make the terracing worse.

Ive read there are a few people having issue with dry spindley grass and it seems the BB deck is having the same problems. Really not sure what can be done with that other than maybe cutting lower or trying different blades. High lifts for example or off set/stepped blade or using some washers so that the blades can sit lower in the deck maybe even below the front skirt.
Is there an adjustable front skirt on the deck like on the VX4 deck? Is the deck level? Try different pitches.

The terracing on slopes is a pita and unless manu's put real castors on the deck I dont know of a way to fix that. We want trim ability and with that come other problems.

The problem as I see it, is that the OP wasnt happy with the response he received from BB. I understand his frustrations completely. Most manu's take us for fools and turn a blind eye/ear to us in the hope that we just go away.
I understand the rep getting his back up about it but this has all gotten out of hand.

Rep, just fix the damned thing so his guy can earn his living, its no skin off your nose. You get paid either way, double cutting etc cuts into our already slim profits.
BB (among others) are getting a bad rep for poor service (Retro excluded here) and its about time you guys turned that around so we can read glowing reports. A few bucks sorting this guy now could lead to positive reports about machine and service in future which in turn means sales. Not a bad loss/profit.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
You make this post as if the buyer owes you an explanation of why he made his choice and bought a Bad Boy mower, or that there's something inherently wrong with a BB stander.

Maybe he doesn't feel like he owes you, or anyone else for that matter, an explanation of why he spent his hard earned money the way he did. Did you feel like you needed to justify your choice of mowers to the people here on LS when you bought your mower? By the way, what kind of mower do you own?

Maybe he's like me and had the opinion that he could buy a BB that was at least equal to, and in some cases superior to, the competition....and spend less money doing it. That's why I bought a BB....and I haven't regretted it one bit.

In fact I'll park my Lightning beside any mower (in the same price range) and guarantee you that it will stand up to or, in some cases surpass, the competition.

Case in point. Here lately a few people have bought Gravely mowers. Gravely in my opinion makes a very good product, in fact, one of my sons owns a 252 (fully commercial). But to be blunt, it doesn't look great when parked side by side with my Lightning...and even my son agrees to that fact.

Everyone is entitled their opinion, but just because someone says something doesn't make it so.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
You make this post as if the buyer owes you an explanation of why he made his choice and bought a Bad Boy mower, or that there's something inherently wrong with a BB stander.

Maybe he doesn't feel like he owes you, or anyone else for that matter, an explanation of why he spent his hard earned money the way he did. Did you feel like you needed to justify your choice of mowers to the people here on LS when you bought your mower? By the way, what kind of mower do you own?

Maybe he's like me and had the opinion that he could buy a BB that was at least equal to, and in some cases superior to, the competition....and spend less money doing it. That's why I bought a BB....and I haven't regretted it one bit.

In fact I'll park my Lightning beside any mower (in the same price range) and guarantee you that it will stand up to or, in some cases surpass, the competition.

Case in point. Here lately a few people have bought Gravely mowers. Gravely in my opinion makes a very good product, in fact, one of my sons owns a 252 (fully commercial). But to be blunt, it doesn't look great when parked side by side with my Lightning...and even my son agrees to that fact.

Everyone is entitled their opinion, but just because someone says something doesn't make it so.
Wow, was just curious...guess I offended you. From all the crap people are saying about BB customer service, it's a shocker that people would continue to buy them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post

BB superior to the completion? I'm what case, please explain where they are superior?

To the OP, glad to here you have a resolution in the works. Btw, did you ever consider a IS2000 ior IS 3100z? I run a 3100 and it's a beast.
Posted via Mobile Device