Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Best method of seeding???

I was wanting some feedback on the best methods of seeding. Preferably using a Harley Rake.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what kind of grass you are trying to grow, but now is the time to do it. Seed is so important, the right thing can make or break your job. You can use a harley rake as a prep tool and/or a finishing tool. It just depend's on how much time you want to invest.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Before I had a Harley Rake I used a compact tractor and tiller. I tilled the ground, then drug it with a chain link drag, seeded it, rolled and strawed. I have had really good success like this. How is everyone covering seed after preping with a harley rake?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ive wondered about harley raking it in too. Not sure if the seed would go too deep . you dont want it more than an inch down. I always hand rake it with a 3 ft rake and on the jobs that were too big to do that I have rolled it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just use a harley to final grade and then spread your seed on top of the ground and then straw over top of it. Thats the way I do it.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Rent a seed drill like a Brillion for acerage and a simple drop seeder for smaller area. Useing the rotary style seeder throws the bigger seed like Rye out farther than the lighter KBG or Fescue type seeds so a drop seeder gives you a more even distribution. If you use this method of seeding use a leaf rake upside down or bigger landscape rake and lightly rake seed into soil to cover.

Useing a Harley Rake is not rocket science Set the rakes depth with the top link of the 3 pt hitch and the wheels. Allow the rake to pop out the rock and debris leaving enough loose soil for a seed bed. DO not just skim the top or you will see the burried rock pop out after the first winter or a few rains and no so deep as to strip off the topsoil. The biggest mistake is seeing guys not allowing the rake to properly perform its intended use. Also go slow with the tractor If you perform all this right no hand raking before seeding will be needed. Google it and read about them if you are unsure of anything about useing a Harley Rake.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it three ways. Hydroseed, rotatry spreader or maybe the best method is a slit seeder. Every situation is different especially with what you have for a sub grade.