Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Squarespace Site

Hey guys! I have a new, though still under construction, site through Squarespace. I know a lot us are trying to find the best way to build our own site with limited knowledge and time. So maybe this can introduce you to what I consider a fantastic option.

Of course, any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're a DIYer that can have some tweaking involvement in your site, I think squarespace is a great option. Some of the code validation errors I've seen can border on the major, so I'd keep an eye on that.

From a more subjective standpoint, you guys seem to do some great projects, as reflected in the photography, so I'd like to see a bit more design flair/color to make them pop.

On a side note, there is a strong possibility I could be relocating to Portland next Summer and I didn't notice an employment page or benefits package outline.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just did a quick run through of the code. I'd suggest looking at the H tags and making some adjustments. On the home page, assuming it's part of the squarespace builder, the slide show uses an H1 tag for each image (for a total of 7 H1 tags), with the content of each being what could easily be considered keyword stuffing. The same applies to the Portfolio page. Also might want to make some font color changes to enhance readability on the home page slides' text overlays.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tony! I really love it so far, though I am certainly in the learning phase with it.

There is nothing in the platform that would indicate to me that the "Title" for each picture is an H1- so that is disappointing. I will lose that right away.

Am I correct that the pictures have no meta tags?

Can you elaborate on improving the picture display?

Not hiring But if you really do head this way I may know some LCO's that are!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're correct on the image tags. I didn't notice any, but just assumed you hadn't gotten to them yet.

In terms of improving the picture display, to my eye, everything seems to have a rather muted color flow. Pastels, light earth tones, and the pictures themselves have that Portland overcast look. If you're set on the page body colors, maybe make some color vibrancy tweaks on the images to brighten them up a bit.

Looks like we'll soon be making a trip to Portland for my girlfriend's interview.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I thought- thanks for checking. Unfortunately, just like 1&1, it doesn't give you the ability to add tags for the images. They do you give you access to the html- but that is over my head.

Correction: I just discovered that they do give you the ability to tag images on the Portfolio pages- just not the other ones.