Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A plausible idea?

I currently have a website that many of you have been so kind to critique, and offer your expertise on how to improve it.....many thanks to you. So here's the question of the day: All thing being the same, (i.e. content, header, meta-tags) would a single-page website have a better organic rating vs. my current site with 8 pages?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
I currently have a website that many of you have been so kind to critique, and offer your expertise on how to improve it.....many thanks to you. So here's the question of the day: All thing being the same, (i.e. content, header, meta-tags) would a single-page website have a better organic rating vs. my current site with 8 pages?
No. All things being equal, you would potentially have a single-page site with one title tag, one H1 tag, and no internal links going against an 8 page site, with the associated tags, as well as site depth via internal linking.

Now, in terms of H1 tags, you can have more than one, but as with everything else, it comes down to the application. Do they make sense as used? Are they clearly delineating content sections? Are those content sections, each with an H1, materially different so that Google recognizes their value, and therefore ranks your site appropriately? Google would recognize a single-page site having separate H1's for About / Contact / Services, but do they differentiate multiple H1's for the more granular Mowing / Clean Ups / Fert 'n Squirt?

To go a bit deeper, and a bit of a veer, take a look at the spec differences between HTML4 and 5's handling of the H tag, as well as people that use page readers and the usability issues they might run in to.

To me, for the line of work you're in, I wouldn't do a single-page site. There's plenty of room to differentiate yourself, and increase site rank, by going deeper with content than your competitor. A gallery/portfolio of your work should necessitate a multi-page site, if only for ease of use and load times.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Google only takes sites with 3 or more pages serious

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinlawn View Post
Google only takes sites with 3 or more pages serious
Would you mind supporting this statement re: a seemingly arbitrary number? Why is 3 better than 1, 2, 4, or 5? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
The more pages a site has the more entry points your potential viewers have to enter your site. Each page should be unique and unlike any other page, with their own title and h1 tag. If you ever find your self using more then one h1 tag chances are you should divide the content into two pages and now you have another entry point.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have decided to completely re-write my site. I will share it on this thread when complete. It will have a very similar look, but with a lighter background (easier to read), easier navigation, h1 tags for every page, text galore, and minimal graphics with the exception of my Portfolio page. I am also writing it with a master page as the framework. My current site was designed with everything based on my home/index page. Every page that was added (Services, Products, etc.) was created by copying/pasting my Index page data, and then changing what was on each page to suit it.....I think this was one of my biggest mistakes because it screwed with the code by making it messy and low-ranking.
Tonygreek, I appreciate your info. Clearly, your knowledge of html coding is proficient. I am highly contemplating about doing away with the newsletter. I might have a link that will allow people to subscribe to a newsletter sent via email. I tried the whole blog thing (Wordpress) and just can't commit to it--got too much going on. Updating my Deal of the Month on a monthly (currently quarterly) basis should keep the site fresh. I have a few more goodies in store that will both look clean, and be useful to my company.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am also writing it with a master page as the framework.

Great idea. It will make your life much easier and significantly lower your frustration levels.

I might have a link that will allow people to subscribe to a newsletter sent via email.

Great way to engage, and up-sell, current customers. Summer, start educating on Fall services, related information, and so on.

I tried the whole blog thing (Wordpress) and just can't commit to it--got too much going on.

One trap people fall into is thinking that a blog is a blog is a blog. If you look at it more in the light of adding/expanding content, you can see great organic search results. Instead of thinking you have to write about something in an article fashion, why not create a new subpage about a keyword in any of your service pages and link from there?

For example, on your current services page, you have "Irrigation Systems" listed, with a following sentence of "Our systems are designed to maximize efficiency and have uniform coverage.". This is ripe for linking a subpage via some keyword rich phrase, such as "uniform irrigation", educating your potential customer with exactly what that means and entails.

I have a few more goodies in store that will both look clean, and be useful to my company.

Looking forward to watching the progression and seeing what you come up with.

Tonygreek, I appreciate your info. Clearly, your knowledge of html coding is proficient.

Any time. And I'll be passing this along to my Mom. lol
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Looking forward to watching the progression and seeing what you come up with.
l
Alright, Tony......here it is......you ready? www.integritylm.byethost7.com
By the way, I paid $54.00 to a top rated webhost to get a year's worth of hosting with a top dot-com domain and they are pending my transaction because they think it is fraudulent. Can you believe it?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the site, I really like the visual appearance. I did not look into much of the SEO of it, but I did notice an opportunity for improvement.

On your services page you list all your maintenance and landscaping services available. By making a page for each service an making the list a bunch of links to those specific pages is a great way to focus right down to prime keywords uniquely targeted to each service.

Each and every page on a website is a potential entry point for a customer, each with its very own targeted keywords. Look at Wikipedia for instance. Search Google for lawn mower and bang they are at the top. search Google for Mobile phone and they are on top. See where I am going with this?