Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my website / SEO question

how is it so far? i am looking for a template to buy, as this doesn't look so professional to me. Its not in my budget to have some one design one for me. I added the video last weekend, but not sure if i should host it on youtube, or if i should try to use it on my site directly, worried about bandwith.. i like the music on the video, but it is audio swap on youtube, so they force ads over my video.. so gotta do something about this soon.

http://www.sharplawnsturf.com

the good thing about the site, is its simple and easy to navigate on my mobile phone, and atleast i have one. got my info on truck, and you can see the web adress / phone number from like 8 or so car lengths even at night time with just street lights. I do not have many images of my work as its my first year in business on my own and i have one customer so far. not a very good response rate so far.

working on SEO, but is submitting to free business listings enough? i have submitted to atleast 50 or 60 i believe so far, i use backpage, craigslist, youtube, facebook as well.. hoping by spring that i can increase my ranking somehow. i know a few who have been able to get a high ranking fast ,but i want to do it the best way.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
how is it so far? i am looking for a template to buy, as this doesn't look so professional to me. Its not in my budget to have some one design one for me. I added the video last weekend, but not sure if i should host it on youtube, or if i should try to use it on my site directly, worried about bandwith.. i like the music on the video, but it is audio swap on youtube, so they force ads over my video.. so gotta do something about this soon.

http://www.sharplawnsturf.com

the good thing about the site, is its simple and easy to navigate on my mobile phone, and atleast i have one. got my info on truck, and you can see the web adress / phone number from like 8 or so car lengths even at night time with just street lights. I do not have many images of my work as its my first year in business on my own and i have one customer so far. not a very good response rate so far.

working on SEO, but is submitting to free business listings enough? i have submitted to atleast 50 or 60 i believe so far, i use backpage, craigslist, youtube, facebook as well.. hoping by spring that i can increase my ranking somehow. i know a few who have been able to get a high ranking fast ,but i want to do it the best way.
For a DIY effort, visually I'd say you're on the right track. A few thoughts...

- Video-wise, stick with Youtube, but optimize your video info the same way you would your web site. Use relevant keywords and locations, especially in the video title, which is currently just your business name. You want descriptive text. If you Google Optimize Youtube SEO, you'll find some helpful info.

- I think you should look at reordering your menu options. 3 of 6 options lead to forms and Bill Pay, as the coveted first option, is awkward and not leading potential customers to where they are most interested. I'd have the Programs first, What to Expect next, and then maybe figure out a way to better manage the various forms.

- Visually, the weather info plugin breaks based on whether someone uses an AdBlocker on their browser. It removes some of the styling and leaves a lack of visual appeal. The other question I would have is "why do you give so much real estate to a weather report?".

- With the various shades of green used throughout the site, and the heavy green grass background, the two(three?) different shades of green text makes for a reading experience that I'm not really enjoying.

- the "our services" section on each page seems to be a variation of the "lawn care programs" page. If you expand the content and move the services to their own sub-page, the search engines will probably show you a bit of love.

- SEO-wise, you really need to put some work into what you currently have. If you look through the previous posts here, you'll find plenty of advice and links. Things you want to address are H tags, Meta Description, and Page Titles.

- the pics on the homepage, while showing what your company is capable of, are a bit over the top, especially as you hit the last image. A little less Photoshop color enhancement might instill a bit more confidence and realistic expectations. Basically, if I were you, I'd tone down the vibrance just a bit. Also, you're forcing high-resolution image sizes down via the code. If you save smaller pictures, you'll see nice load time changes.

Good start, just needs some massaging and SEO brush up. Holla if you have any questions.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the helpful advice tony, i definetly got alot to work on. I am gonna scratch what i have, and hopefully can find a similar template soon. i want tabs, with pull-downs.

i added the weather in just because i didn't know what else i could fit in that space, i know it looks bad. but i see an estimate request form would be nice in place of that, with mabee a sweet offer if they request an estimate online.. thats what i have in mind.

i'm gonna keep the video, and losing the last image which is obviously enhanced in photoshop, i have a different one. loosing that image for good. gonna take the photo gallery down totally, and add a blog, and as i do work, will add pictures, and as the seasons change i can add recommendations, etc..
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i changed some things, if you want to check it out. http://www.sharplawnsturf.com

tried to do a wordpress blog, and work it into the existing website, so i changed a few things.. gonna eventually try to make the site all with wordpress when i learn more about it. changed my video a bit too.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

SEO is not an over night process it takes time! As mentioned before maximized Youtube vidoes can do wonders for anyone's website! Keep the hard work up and you will be successful!