Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2003, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marketing...how's this sound?

Have a local marketing co. doing some work for us. All summed up...heres what we get
4.25x6 postal card
Concept, copy,graphics,finished art work
Printing:full color on one side with full bleeds and two color on mailing side.
Mailing list:30,000 local homeowners

Est postage=$5700.
Estimated cost for fliers=$6100.

Marketing co. feels this will get about 900 responses...from that, he feels about 300-350 new customers will be aquired. Any thoughts?sound about right?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to good to be true. I think you would be lucky to get 50 but I'm in central Florida and don't know you're market. Good Luck
Old 01-18-2003, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know how it is in your area , but it sounds right to me, because I put out only 1000 fliers. I got around 40-50 replies, from that i gained 34 accounts. However i am in the chicagoland area, so that might make a difference. I think you would definetly gain close to that many account.
Buts that just my opinion
Old 01-18-2003, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do I read it right? That means $400 for the paper, printing, graphics etc...????
Old 01-18-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

DM fliers

We are sending out 2 waves of flyers. 15 k each time.

Each piece including postage will cost us $.40 each. We got comparable quotes from amerilist and focal point. We are anticipating 360 leads with anticipation of 200 sales. This gives us a cost of sale at $60 not counting labor. Kinda steep, but with quality service, it will pay off in year 2. You are on the right track. If you compare your pieces to the big guys, they pay $1 or more with pure zip code saturation. Service and customer care will win out!!!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Marketing...how's this sound?

Quote:
Originally posted by MLI
Marketing co. feels this will get about 900 responses...from that, he feels about 300-350 new customers will be aquired. Any thoughts?sound about right?

I have no idea what size company you own, but ........... I wouldn't send all 30,000 at once. If you did receive 900 responses, you most likely would get them shortly after the mailing, a week or two for the most of them, I know there are always stragglers a month or so later. In receiving the phone calls, which would be on average 30 to 40 at least per day for about a month, 22 work days roughly, not includung the weekends. Then to go do estimates for all those people, are you equipped to handle this? Are you equipped to add 300-350 new customers. That's a crap load of people!!

These numbers are just rough figuring off the top of my head, but something to think about.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We like direct mail but in our area we get about 2-3% response and about 25% of those become customers. Also I'd think twice about sending all 30K at once. I'd focus on specific areas you want to work and send a mailing each quarter. Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: Re: Marketing...how's this sound?

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I have no idea what size company you own, but ........... I wouldn't send all 30,000 at once. If you did receive 900 responses, you most likely would get them shortly after the mailing, a week or two for the most of them, I know there are always stragglers a month or so later. In receiving the phone calls, which would be on average 30 to 40 at least per day for about a month, 22 work days roughly, not includung the weekends. Then to go do estimates for all those people, are you equipped to handle this? Are you equipped to add 300-350 new customers. That's a crap load of people!!

These numbers are just rough figuring off the top of my head, but something to think about.
I agree, but don't know how big your business is, but would be running your tail off in estimates etc. I personely would never want 300+ clients, but than again thats me, if I did, I'd have to have a serious talk to my banker and a serious one with Mich-works, lol

Good luck in your possible expansion.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

MLI,
Where in Ma are you located? And secondly, what are you marketing, fertilizing apps or lawn care\landscaping?

Mike
Old 01-19-2003, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lbmd1...im just south of Boston(South Shore). Its a hot market here. We're marketing for fert apps. at this point. I already have enough maint. to last me a life time..lol. I'm competing with the big boys here, and need to get a good foot hold quickly.