Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

tree & shrub spraying applications

looking to get into tree and shrub spraying as i have became dec cert for pesticides. just trying to find out how many apps you guys do and of what. I know it depends on the area, im just looking for a little pre-knowledge. i am starting extensive research into the GDD of the species in my area to figure out the best IPM practices and precautionary applications to use. If someone would happen to have a breakdown of what applications they use and to treat which species that would be great. Also let me know what equipment you are using, as i will be starting with a few backpack sprayers and staying with low line trees/shrubs until i have the customer base to warrant a nice skid sprayer. Any help woudl be great. Thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tree programs

See the attachment:
Attached Files
File Type: doc TREE ESTIMATE BACK PRINTERS COPY.doc (30.5 KB, 335 views)
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. aNYONE ELSE HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT TO SHARE? oops caps.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope garydale doesn't try to sell all these things to everybody - reminds me of my ChemScape days when we sprayed all woody ornamentals 4 times per year with five pesticides (2 fungicides, 2 insecticides, and Kelthane for mites). We offered spring & fall feeding too (mostly root injection).

He did not mention feeding trees in the spring. He also called for dormant oil in the spring. Most times, it's best to spray dormant oil in the fall. Maples for sure, cuz damage can ocurr on maples if you spray in the spring with oils.

Not trying to brag, but I was in on the "ground floor" with ChemScape in the late 70's. Helped in research with hort oils & micronutrients. Summer oils can be applied when needed, but normally at a 2% rate. Spring/fall oils can be applied up to a 4% rate, depending.

My company "sprays" when needed -- target pests only. TruGreen here tries to sell many sprays which are noi needed. Example: spraying for spider mites on maples.

IPM is the way to go. ie - don't spray unless you have a target pest. Otherwise your're ripping off the customer.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I hope garydale doesn't try to sell all these things to everybody - reminds me of my ChemScape days when we sprayed all woody ornamentals 4 times per year with five pesticides (2 fungicides, 2 insecticides, and Kelthane for mites). We offered spring & fall feeding too (mostly root injection).

He did not mention feeding trees in the spring. He also called for dormant oil in the spring. Most times, it's best to spray dormant oil in the fall. Maples for sure, cuz damage can ocurr on maples if you spray in the spring with oils.

Not trying to brag, but I was in on the "ground floor" with ChemScape in the late 70's. Helped in research with hort oils & micronutrients. Summer oils can be applied when needed, but normally at a 2% rate. Spring/fall oils can be applied up to a 4% rate, depending.

My company "sprays" when needed -- target pests only. TruGreen here tries to sell many sprays which are noi needed. Example: spraying for spider mites on maples.

IPM is the way to go. ie - don't spray unless you have a target pest. Otherwise your're ripping off the customer.
Amen to that Larry.

Monitoring and making intelligent decisions for control is critical for a successful IPM program. A program that relies on cocktail sprays will create more problems than solutions and end up loosing clients.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdturd9726 View Post
looking to get into tree and shrub spraying as i have became dec cert for pesticides. just trying to find out how many apps you guys do and of what. I know it depends on the area, im just looking for a little pre-knowledge. i am starting extensive research into the GDD of the species in my area to figure out the best IPM practices and precautionary applications to use. If someone would happen to have a breakdown of what applications they use and to treat which species that would be great. Also let me know what equipment you are using, as i will be starting with a few backpack sprayers and staying with low line trees/shrubs until i have the customer base to warrant a nice skid sprayer. Any help woudl be great. Thanks
You might check into the mauget injection system, you can do fert, micros, insects, etc. No tank costs, just a drill and hammer, plus you can treat close to water and on windy days. You could offer a program where you come out for X and if there is a problem you treat it for X per tree.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
You might check into the mauget injection system, you can do fert, micros, insects, etc. No tank costs, just a drill and hammer, plus you can treat close to water and on windy days. You could offer a program where you come out for X and if there is a problem you treat it for X per tree.
Mauget is decent at best. Look into the Arborjet systems, if you need to treat larger trees. Treeage can control pests for 3 years! Then, only need re-treatment every 5 years.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

phasthound -- It's kinda like going to a doctor. Sometimes he might prescibe expensive medicines, but normally the most valuable commodity is his experienced advice. Our yellow page ads state "We diagnose before we treat" -- same thing.

BTW phasthoud -- We are now seeing many nice dark green lawns cuz of your fert. Nice job! Your organic fert combo has shown proven results around here. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Bird..
Thought I would point out that the Tree/Shrub attachment is an education piece, developed because the average homeowner thinks one treatment last all year and cures everything.
When you need to explain the programs you develope for your operation it will help you show: time of year, probable targets and need for followup etc.
They all begin with "inspect" and IPM is the future, so you will be customising each clients programs.
New york is a tough state when it comes to pesticide use.
Good Luck
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydale View Post
Hi Bird..
Thought I would point out
They all begin with "inspect" and IPM is the future, so you will be customising each clients programs.
Been practicing IPM for over 15 years. It's a great step in the right direction. Much better than calendar timed treatments. However, the focus is still on controlling pests rather than Plant Health Care. Improving plant and soil health, now that's the future.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt