Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Suggestions for vertical privacy foliage in Northeast Florida

Love this site! Finally found a site where professional know-how is available and can't help but get sucked into the professional back and forth man-drama that permeates some of the threads.

I want to plant trees or shrubs for my back yard to add some privacy. Below are attached pics. Any suggestions of what trees to plant that would not lose leaves in winter. I want to keep the privacy year round. I want to plant along that back fence and perhaps one along the left/road fence. The back fence is 70' long. Any suggestions or another site you would frequent to tackle this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ficus, Cocoplum, Podocarpus... as hedge material.

Don't know of any decidous tree that won't drop leaves at some point, even conifers will drop needles.

I suggest going to your local extension for plantings indigenous to your area.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Last edited by jvanvliet; 09-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

For something different, I'd suggest you research some of the clumping bamboo varieties. There are several that are plenty hardy enough for your locale. They certainly grow fast and most have few issues. Perhaps something like Golden Goddess, Blue Timber, Emerald Timber, Buddha Belly, Silverstripe, etc. Just a thought.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
For something different, I'd suggest you research some of the clumping bamboo varieties. There are several that are plenty hardy enough for your locale. They certainly grow fast and most have few issues. Perhaps something like Golden Goddess, Blue Timber, Emerald Timber, Buddha Belly, Silverstripe, etc. Just a thought.

I didn't think any Bamboo varieties were very Cold Hardy so I learned something. I am also thinking PBS has done Landscaping shows with a Guy from Jacksonville named P. Allen Smith. A possible search on the PBS website for is shows might find the perfect plant.

Viburnum or Silver Buttonwood might work. What I use here in South Florida won't work that far North. I use Areca Palms but I think they will freeze back each winter in Jacksonville.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea Ric, Arecas would be a no-go up there. Several of the bamboo varieties can easily handle winter there. Shoot, a person could even do an UHD (ultra high density) planting of various small - medium ornamental trees for that desired effect. For example, I planted a row of about 8 Mag trees on 10' centers along my back property line. In essence, I now have a 25' tall Mag hedge...which has grown together nicely. Creativity, my friend, is what it's all about. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
Yea Ric, Arecas would be a no-go up there. Several of the bamboo varieties can easily handle winter there. Shoot, a person could even do an UHD (ultra high density) planting of various small - medium ornamental trees for that desired effect. For example, I planted a row of about 8 Mag trees on 10' centers along my back property line. In essence, I now have a 25' tall Mag hedge...which has grown together nicely. Creativity, my friend, is what it's all about. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Arecas are Cheap ,fast and easy. I can Buy 4 ft OA Arecas for peanuts and have totally privacy in the first season. South Florida We don't freeze so I am out of my elements North of a Line from Palm Beach to Brownsville Texas.

Yep South Florida is easy when it comes to Privacy plantings. Fact is our year round growing season give more Privacy than the customer wanted. Ultra High Density planting is actually practiced more by Mistake than design. I am a strong believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Landscape design.

Speaking of UHD I do like a trellis or topiary of vining plants like Mandeville, Brown Bud Allamanda. Bougainvillea and Wisteria etc. Each has a different Texture and slightly different color. Of course the flowers are totally different. Newer Fiberglas Trellis hold up 3 time as long as the old wood ones and can out last the design life.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Viburnum.. water and fert the heck out of em the first year and they grow pretty quick.. will do just fine in Jax.. I've used it many times in the Orange Park area of Jax for privacy hedge..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Arecas are Cheap ,fast and easy. I can Buy 4 ft OA Arecas for peanuts and have totally privacy in the first season. South Florida We don't freeze so I am out of my elements North of a Line from Palm Beach to Brownsville Texas.

Yep South Florida is easy when it comes to Privacy plantings. Fact is our year round growing season give more Privacy than the customer wanted. Ultra High Density planting is actually practiced more by Mistake than design. I am a strong believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Landscape design.

Speaking of UHD I do like a trellis or topiary of vining plants like Mandeville, Brown Bud Allamanda. Bougainvillea and Wisteria etc. Each has a different Texture and slightly different color. Of course the flowers are totally different. Newer Fiberglas Trellis hold up 3 time as long as the old wood ones and can out last the design life.

While I agree Arecas are cheap, Arecas are cheap. Yes you get privacy, but you also get an ugly palm that needs a lot of fert and maintenance. Vines are good, but mandevilla is a pita and looks like crum in the winter. Bougie is good, but again, a lot of maintenance. This gentleman is a homeowner who I'm sure wants as little maintenance as possible. Do NOT do fichus, maintenance nightmare. If you can do caryotas(fishtail palm) and have them be five with the cold, I would do that. Less maintenance vs Arecas, more appealing, etc. if you want formal hedge, awabuki viburnum is good, but be prepared to hand prun them. Trimmer looks like garbage on them. Cocoplum is good too, but again, not sure if it works in north Florida. Whatever you look at, make sure to see the overall height and maintenance requirement. That is a big area to plant and if you pick the wrong plant, you will be kicking yourself in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I also agree with less is more. Great point. So many landscapes here are overplanted and look like a jungle after 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where in n fl are you? Coast? Interior? Floridata says that caryotas will do ok in the warm parts of zone 9. Will handle light frosts only...sounds like its not going to work.
Posted via Mobile Device