Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer issue

My Exmark did something strange the other day and I was curious if any one had an idea what the problem was.
After finishing a 1/2 acre lot I turned mower off to clean with blower before loading back on trailer. After blowing off the debris I tried cranking to load on trailer and it wouldn't do anything. So I checked the regular no crank issues bake lever, control arms, PTO, battery, safety switch under seat and the fuses all were fine. After 30 to 45 minutes sitting went back gave it another try and the mower cranked right up.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check if it does it again it's possible that the actual brake switch is not working properly
Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehow0003 View Post
My Exmark did something strange the other day and I was curious if any one had an idea what the problem was.
It would help to know more about your exmark..like how old it is, hours..etc. What I would suggest would be get a test light, make some jumpers, and be ready the next time it happens, cause it will happen again. Check the tang on the brake lever that it hasn't gotten bent back a millimeter or 3, this happened to our new S model last year......Check the backs of all the plugs for loose or corroded wires.....I had 1 unit that is 12 years old, I thought it was just a bad PTO switch when it wasn't....And my list goes on and on.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

In addition to what has already been said, intermittent problems are among the most difficult to diagnose for obvious reasons. Keep a test light or volt meter handy and check the small wire(s) on the starter solenoid next time you turn the key to the start position and nothing happens. You should get 12 volts to the small wire on the solenoid if it is a 3 pole or starter mounted solenoid or one of the small wires on a 4 pole solenoid. On 4 pole solenoids, make sure to check both small terminals while holding the key in the start position. In some cases you will have power on both small terminals and the ground is missing. This test will confirm that all safety switches are working if you get 12 volts on this wire and that most likely the problem is in the high current side of the starting circuit such as bad internal solenoid contacts or battery cable connection. If not, then you know that something in the control circuit is the culprit such as ignition switch, safety switch, corroded electrical connection, etc. If you can narrow it down to the high current side or control side of the starting circuit it will keep you from chasing rabbits. The above is not the be-all or end-all, rather a starting point.

Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
It would help to know more about your exmark..like how old it is, hours..etc. What I would suggest would be get a test light, make some jumpers, and be ready the next time it happens, cause it will happen again. Check the tang on the brake lever that it hasn't gotten bent back a millimeter or 3, this happened to our new S model last year......Check the backs of all the plugs for loose or corroded wires.....I had 1 unit that is 12 years old, I thought it was just a bad PTO switch when it wasn't....And my list goes on and on.....
What I've been doing is, where you see a mark on that tang where the switch contacts it, drill a hole and tap it 1/4 - 20. Put a button head screw in it with a lock nut. That tang really should not be bent. Those brake levers have enough problems without adding distortion to them. Screw give adjustability over time.
I've done maybe 25 already with no issues, but suit yourself.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Screw give adjustability over time.
25 ? Wow, I didn't know this was such a problem for exmark.....What you do is great, you must have the time......I don't, and even if I did, I would not do that. I got my 8 inch adjustable wrench out and bent the tang back into it's oringal position, job done, on to the next nightmare......

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Screw give adjustability over time.
25 ? Wow, I didn't know this was such a problem for exmark.....What you do is great, you must have the time......I don't, and even if I did, I would not do that. I got my 8 inch adjustable wrench out and bent the tang back into it's oringal position, job done, on to the next nightmare......
I agree Breeze...I recently switched from working for a large landscape company back into a large Exmark dealership.. The crescent wrench method is how they instructed me to solve the issue..
I hadn't worked in an Exmark dealership in 15 years and often find myself shaking my head at some of designs their engineers have come up with..they really dropped the ball on a few things..
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
I agree Breeze...I recently switched from working for a large landscape company back into a large Exmark dealership..
My Condolences

Quote:
The crescent wrench method is how they instructed me to solve the issue..
There is a time and place to re-engineer, I've done my share as I'm sure you have, just to make it easier the next time you have to go back into that machine. But some times simple is better.....

Quote:
I hadn't worked in an Exmark dealership in 15 years and often find myself shaking my head at some of designs their engineers have come up with..they really dropped the ball on a few things..
It's over engineering at it's finest. And, if you haven't found out already, wait to you have to change out a damper in a machine that is about 5 or 6 years old......

And congrats on your new job

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hahaha...try to change a pump on one of the newer Vantage (stander) mowers....
Bring your lunch...
Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hahaha...try to change a pump on one of the newer Vantage (stander) mowers....
Bring your lunch...
Is your new digs air conditioned or just a different hot box?
Posted via Mobile Device