Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl br600 blower runs fine, wont idle

Hello everyone, I have a couple stihl br600. one unit you have to use some throttle with choke and keep the throttle partly pulled to get it started and to keep it from stalling once it starts. other then that it excellerates to full throttle just fine. the other one will start on choke, if you take the choke all the way off then it will die. if you keep some throttle on it before turning choke off it runs fine and will excellerate to full throttle. the air filters are clean on both units, spark plugs are clean. they both seem to have good compression. not sure why they will run but wont idle? any suggestions would be apreciated.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How's the air filter look? What about the fuel filter?
Stihl

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

You can rule out the air filter by starting and running them without it. I don't think it'll make any difference. It's probably not the fuel filter because they run fine at all speeds except idle.
It sounds like both machines have dirty carbs, particularly their idle circuits. The jets for idle and low speed are very small, and clog easily. You may be able to just screw the idle speed screw in a little and solve the problem for now. But it will be a temporary fix. You really need to clean both carburetors.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on the age of these machines, how long it's been since the last maintenance spell.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker Mechanic View Post
You can rule out the air filter by starting and running them without it. I don't think it'll make any difference. It's probably not the fuel filter because they run fine at all speeds except idle.
It sounds like both machines have dirty carbs, particularly their idle circuits.The jets for idle and low speed are very small, and clog easily. You may be able to just screw the idle speed screw in a little and solve the problem for now. But it will be a temporary fix. You really need to clean both carburetors.
You do realize that screwing the needle in will lean it out, right? Just the opposite of what is needed.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...
" Old age ain't for sissies "
......AMF!
Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Fish, I mean the idle speed screw, not the mixture screw. Not sure if it's called that or not, but I meant the screw that mechanically moves the throttle lever when you screw it in. It's a temporary fix in that it will raise idle speed perhaps past the point that the carb is relying on its idle circuit. It's really just a way of bypassing the problem which is most likely a clogged idle circuit in the carb.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker Mechanic View Post
Fish, I mean the idle speed screw, not the mixture screw. Not sure if it's called that or not, but I meant the screw that mechanically moves the throttle lever when you screw it in. It's a temporary fix in that it will raise idle speed perhaps past the point that the carb is relying on its idle circuit. It's really just a way of bypassing the problem which is most likely a clogged idle circuit in the carb.
My bad I read it wrong! It's indeed called the idle speed screw.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...
" Old age ain't for sissies "
......AMF!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

both machines were taken apart, cleaned and back put back together, new filters on both units. they have new carbs so the seller on ebay said they were new. one I installed a new cam gear, the other a new pin,clips, piston,rings. the one with the new top end I turn up the idle on carb more. it idles now but kinda irradicully. I'm thinking its a breakin problem and needs to be ran more to eventually smooth out the idle. not sure whats wrong with the other one that needs choke on plus some throttle to start. cant let off on the throttle or it will die. tried turning up idle all the way and didnt help. how much compression should a br600 have to run correctly?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if cleaning the carbs with fix the idle problem. I have tried cleaning dirty carbs with an altra sonic cleaner before which didnt fix the problem. there a more theral way to clean a carb that an altra sonic cleaner cant do?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...

I might try to adjust the L screw but you do need a special tool.
I mean it sounds like they've been gone over good recently.

Curious if it could be a fuel line leak but I really hate to tear into it if it's been recently gone over.
Like they say, if it runs don't fix it.
Hoping you don't use that primer bulb because the spring inside will crack them fast.