Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Did ya GOOGLE " small D carb tool" ?
I have 4 or 5 adjustment tools...some of the cheapest made tools in my box..
Couldn't cost 10 cents to make in china or sri lanka...This whole emissions deal is just a smokescreen to get you to pay $75 hr to adjust the screws on a $100 trimmer...seen the polar icecaps lately..?...I just hope the seafloors don't release all that methane gas on the same day...the dinosaurs didn't like it either...

Buy the tool..use it once ...and throw it in your toolbox...it'll blend right in..
Still takes me a minute or 2 of digging in my box to find the right carb tool..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This should work

It's funny that you can go to the dealer and buy both the high and low speed adjustment screws but you're not allowed to install them. After doing some research, I think I found the tool that should work. Yes, it's expensive but I'll save the labor cost it normally would take for the dealer to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281290855593...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGrass View Post
It's funny that you can go to the dealer and buy both the high and low speed adjustment screws but you're not allowed to install them. After doing some research, I think I found the tool that should work. Yes, it's expensive but I'll save the labor cost it normally would take for the dealer to do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281290855593...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Yeah, those are the hot lick. Most of the later echo use the small D ( called the long D ) in the pic.
I would grab em while ya can.
I've dealt with McHenry before, a tad slow on shipping, but everything they sent was as described.

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...

......AMF!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most carbs can be adjusted with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Carburet...djustment+tool

$25 for all 4 tools, not $50 for one.

If that doesn't work, you can take a electrical wire butt connector, jam it on the end of a small phillips screwdriver and push it on the carb adjustment screw head. The wire butt connector is soft metal and the carb screw is hardened metal, so the butt connector will mold itself to the carb screw splines. Butt connectors for different size wire gauges will allow you to fit them on various screws.

Another alternative is to cut slots in the screw heads with a dremel, then use a flat blade screwdriver.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Most carbs can be adjusted with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Carburet...djustment+tool

$25 for all 4 tools, not $50 for one.

If that doesn't work, you can take a electrical wire butt connector, jam it on the end of a small phillips screwdriver and push it on the carb adjustment screw head. The wire butt connector is soft metal and the carb screw is hardened metal, so the butt connector will mold itself to the carb screw splines. Butt connectors for different size wire gauges will allow you to fit them on various screws.

Another alternative is to cut slots in the screw heads with a dremel, then use a flat blade screwdriver.

They ain't gonna work on his unit. You get the two tools for 50 bucks, the one he needs is the skinny D shaped one.
Yeah, all kinds of makeshift stuff works, but if yer gonna do it more than once...

'Course if yer house has more wheels than yer truck...

......AMF!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you're saying Fish, but it sounds like he is a guy with a single machine to adjust, not a full time mechanic like you.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

like dboyd said, maybe you can take the carb out, stick it in a vice or something and grind small slots in the heads with a dremel cutting wheel so a flat head screwdriver works. I did this a few times works great. Since the tips of the heads are probably recessed into the carb housing, you'll probably have to grind right though that but it might not cause a problem.

One advantage of the specialty tools is they don't jiggle around like a screwdriver when the machine is running and you're trying to tune it, but if you make the screwdriver slits nice and deep and possibly grind down your screwdriver thickness a little bit, it tends to not jiggle out of the groove you grinded.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

found this for $5 on ebay.