Register free!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I know this guy didn't have the Technology to observe AM Fungi and identify the critters that made 'tilth and humus' functional... maybe he could grow a garden as well as my grandparents, but back then everything was organic...

Did this guy promote growing green manure and tilling it in? or was he a no-till guru as well???
No he didn't have that technology. I was referring to having an understanding of tilth & humus. Read up on Sir Howard, he did far more than grow a garden as well as your grandparents. During his time, "artificial manures" were introduced into agriculture. With some reading you can answer your other questions.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My main point was that before the technology everyone in agriculture understood tilth and humus, even though no one knew the microscopic activity that made tilth and humus work... I'm not going to go into "Who had better insight into Tilth and Humus, cover crops, or when to cultivate",,, becuz that only detracts from basic understanding of common sense botany as we've experienced it...

My main concern is that we have technology w/out the context of seeing and feeling tilth and humus... the concepts of agriculture at the basic level, as understood by your man, Sir Howard,,, are now just legends of the past... today we don't even look at the soil in the root zone to see if its wet,,, and it is considered laughable to be able to judge tilth and humus by means of our 5 senses...

I'm simply drawing comparisons between past understanding of plant husbandry and lab technology... it is a shame that they can't compliment one another rather than be antagonistic...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Simply astounding ............. ::backs out of yet another ridiculous thread::
Old 09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is impossible to have a sense of life outside of books,,, when the sense of life is only in the book... it's like describing color to one who has been blind from birth...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
My main point was that before the technology everyone in agriculture understood tilth and humus, even though no one knew the microscopic activity that made tilth and humus work... I'm not going to go into "Who had better insight into Tilth and Humus, cover crops, or when to cultivate",,, becuz that only detracts from basic understanding of common sense botany as we've experienced it...

My main concern is that we have technology w/out the context of seeing and feeling tilth and humus... the concepts of agriculture at the basic level, as understood by your man, Sir Howard,,, are now just legends of the past... today we don't even look at the soil in the root zone to see if its wet,,, and it is considered laughable to be able to judge tilth and humus by means of our 5 senses...

I'm simply drawing comparisons between past understanding of plant husbandry and lab technology... it is a shame that they can't compliment one another rather than be antagonistic...
Um........What?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm... What???

No one ever made sense of "How to Tell if the Compost was finished Composting,,, if it had 'an earthy smell' to it... look and feel if there are any particles in the compost ,,, that are still distinguishable as what the were before...

This "organic site" never used these methods of determining finished compost from raw??? Maybe we need to send our samples to a lab in order to know whether our compost is done or not...

um-what indeed...

We're "Back to Nature" ... but we can't do it w/out high-tech labs to tell us how to "get Back to Nature"...