Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
.... been leaning towards the FS90R but am scared to try a 4 mix trimmer since its all new to me.

If I handed one to you, and didn't tell you it was a four cycle, you may use it for weeks, months, perhaps longer, without knowing. I know this to be the case -- people having bought 4-mix products, and used it for a long time without realizing. Yes, the audio is a bit different, but can easily be missed. A user may realize it does not use as much fuel, but maybe not. They may realize it starts easily, but may just attribute it to being a new unit.

People easily move from a candy-bar cell phone to a flip phone. Then they move to a screened phone. Soon, they move to a smart phone. And, then move to a tablet computer, getting e-mail, processing credit card transactions. All these changes seemed to be in stride, although the changes are very significant. Yet, when having a handheld with a new name, but doing the same task, the antennae of disruption rises high.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I simply will not buy a 4 stroke... I have enough valve problems with my dirt bike
That is why I am hanging on to my 2006 yz250!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

this is why I run true 4 stroke trimmers instead of these half breeds. 0 issues for over a 1000 hrs on mine
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Probably never is my guess...
Posted via Mobile Device
Lube mine beginning of the season and then early September.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have you whiners tried wearing men's underwear?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Have you whiners tried wearing men's underwear?
I just wear my batman or spiderman underroos
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
this is why I run true 4 stroke trimmers instead of these half breeds. ....
Please explain. "... true 4 stroke ..." Each cycle of the engine: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust. There is no "half breeding" on these cycles. They are the same, whether it be a single cylinder Kohler, a 3.5hp B & S, or the engine in your vehicle. Each has piston, intake, valves, exhaust, fuel mixing mechanism. Yes, some of the more sophisticated 4 strokes have multiple valves on the intake and/or exhaust, the the principles are exactly the same. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed in basic physics for a long time. Yes, some of the surrounding elements have changed (e.g. carbs, EFI, DFI, etc). But, the cycles in a 4 stroke are still the same.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Please explain. "... true 4 stroke ..." Each cycle of the engine: Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust. There is no "half breeding" on these cycles. They are the same, whether it be a single cylinder Kohler, a 3.5hp B & S, or the engine in your vehicle. Each has piston, intake, valves, exhaust, fuel mixing mechanism. Yes, some of the more sophisticated 4 strokes have multiple valves on the intake and/or exhaust, the the principles are exactly the same. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed in basic physics for a long time. Yes, some of the surrounding elements have changed (e.g. carbs, EFI, DFI, etc). But, the cycles in a 4 stroke are still the same.
The 4 mix is a two stroke of a sort. Depends on who you ask but I get different feed back from different dealers on what these hand helds are classified and they do seem to be a hybred.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The 4 mix is a two stroke of a sort. .
With four distinctive parts in the cycle, how can it be a "two stroke of sort?" I see nothing in the operation of a 4-mix design that has any hint of being a two stroke engine.

I don't doubt that dealers are telling unsuspecting customers that it is a two-stroke. I can even verify this. While standing in line at the local Stihl dealer, the man in front of me had just bought an FS90R trimmer. He explained the mixed fuel requirement. And, in the process, said something to the effect that it is a two-cycle. I could not keep quiet, "... this is a four cycle engine." The salesman sneered and ignored. He knew good and well he was deceiving the customer, not wanting to place any doubt in the customer's mind.

When the unsuspecting customer left with FS90R in hand, and I stepped to the counter, I said "you lied to that man." He chose to talk about "mixed fuel." I stated to him that mixed fuel only was the lubrication system of the engine, but having nothing to do with the combustion cycles. He walked away, and somebody else helped me with my order.

I think the man knew what he was doing, but chose to lie. So, a dealer telling somebody "two cycle of sorts," he/she is doing the same thing, not wanting to kill a sale. Combustion cycle designs are independent of lubrication system.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
With four distinctive parts in the cycle, how can it be a "two stroke of sort?" I see nothing in the operation of a 4-mix design that has any hint of being a two stroke engine.

I don't doubt that dealers are telling unsuspecting customers that it is a two-stroke. I can even verify this. While standing in line at the local Stihl dealer, the man in front of me had just bought an FS90R trimmer. He explained the mixed fuel requirement. And, in the process, said something to the effect that it is a two-cycle. I could not keep quiet, "... this is a four cycle engine." The salesman sneered and ignored. He knew good and well he was deceiving the customer, not wanting to place any doubt in the customer's mind.

When the unsuspecting customer left with FS90R in hand, and I stepped to the counter, I said "you lied to that man." He chose to talk about "mixed fuel." I stated to him that mixed fuel only was the lubrication system of the engine, but having nothing to do with the combustion cycles. He walked away, and somebody else helped me with my order.

I think the man knew what he was doing, but chose to lie. So, a dealer telling somebody "two cycle of sorts," he/she is doing the same thing, not wanting to kill a sale. Combustion cycle designs are independent of lubrication system.
You looked at it more than me but please name one other 4 stroke design in production that does not use crank case oil?