Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Made a bad joke to Client's wife, Still got hired whew!

Older guy calls for a cleanup estimate. Trim overgrown bushes, Blow off leaves, Trim trees. He is showing me the yard & his wife comes out to join us, I introduce myself & shake her hand & say "Mrs Claus, I presume?"

Husband is short & very heavy & has a white/grayish beard & when I first saw him, I thought wow, its Santa Claus

Wife failed to understand what I meant by calling her Mrs Claus & there was a (5) second (awkward) eternity pause until her husband said he thought that I thought he looked like Santa Claus.

Boy was I embarrassed. I usually dont say stupid stuff like that to a client I just met. Might say something like like after I get to know them though

We moved on to look at yard. Whew. Actually glad the wife came out because she wanted more work done than Hubby wanted.

She left. Hubby showed me more stuff. I quoted my hourly rate & guess estimate of hrs needed and hauling fee.

Guy called up today and hired me. Yea!
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

lol by reading the title i expected a worse joke
but hey, at least this was an easy lesson for ya
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even a good joke can fail......miserably. Glad you were hired...anyway.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got one better. I took my dad to a trade show and we don't far from coldwater a large city and my dad says we are from around there when he introduces himself. So my dad says that and the salesman at the booth says, "hey do you know dick shrivels from coldwater?" My dad says no and I am dieing laughing and the sales guy tries to explain it 5 times and gives up lol he just looks at me for help and I denied him lol
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Off topic:
What is your hourly rate? I've never had luck quoting a job by the hour and giving an estimate on hours to complete.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Off topic:
What is your hourly rate? I've never had luck quoting a job by the hour and giving an estimate on hours to complete.

$85 per hour. When he called back, he said you'll do it for $800? I said it might be in that range area. I org guessed (7) hours+150 to haul away trimmings, Comes out to $745. Org told him it might be two loads to haul off debris @ $150 per load. Told him when he called, I'd try to get it all in one load on a 22' trailer & save him $150. Regardless of all that, I said I was sticking to my hourly quote & he'd get a itemized bill on time.

I tell them its a hard hour & I dont piddle around on the job. I also explain the commercial equipment I use. Like the Stihl Kombi system & my BR 600 blower & highly emphasize how fast my equipment is. I've actually taken clients out to the truck and shown them the Kombi system

Others things I said (I think) that got me this job, Said I'd blow leaves into several large wooded areas he had & that would save him hourly labor. Most of trimming is two large area's in backyard that I can back into from road, Told him that'd save him lots of $ vs having to hand carry it out.

Pointed out a V limb on oak tree (15' up) that was rotted & right over his driveway & it could break off at anytime & hurt somebody. A dangerous limb he never noticed by the way. Told him I'd kombi that limb in (5) mins

I used to quote fixed prices but repeatedly got burnt time wise & loss lots of $ because guessing hours a job will take, doesn't always pan out right. Of course I'm better now at guessing hours due to experience of using the Kombi. I went to a (3) hr minimum this yr+hauling off debris, Which has worked out great thus far. Weeds out em little (1) hour jobs.

Trying to figure out how to increase my hourly rate. I guess I should just slow down some while working instead. I agree $85 sounds scary but its unreal the things I can do in 30 mins time with the Kombi.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair