Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

that big ole leaf loader must be rough on your tailgate
Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I did the pitch fork way back then when I had that box not knowing any better. Yeah sometimes it wasn't too bad, but suck up some wet stuff or let it rain before you get to the dump and you will be cursing the entire time. Get a good strong pallet or build you one and a good a chain and a front loader/dozer will rip that pile out in 5 sec and you will be on your way with out have to bust your back for 15-20 min.... trust me.

Another little tip. Drill 2 holes in the back of the box above and below the the top board of the pallet. Stick a piece of wire through it and then twist it on the outside. it will hold the pallet straight up while you are filling up the box.

And in regards to multiple jobs fitting in the box. Like I said in the first post you will be suprised what you can pack in their with a well vented setup. But how many jobs you can fit will be determined by how big the props and how much leaves are there. If you are working alone I doubt you will be able to fill it in a day. It should hold 6-8 yards of compacted material... thats no small load.

Picture Perfect Landscapes
http://www.pictureperfectlandscapes.com
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
that big ole leaf loader must be rough on your tailgate
Don't do that anymore. That was my first year with the loader. Setup is much better now and much bigger.

But yes... I do have a few dents in the top and a few scratches... no big deal though.

Picture Perfect Landscapes
http://www.pictureperfectlandscapes.com
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mounting it to my trailer. I'm hoping to keep my trucks appearance the same after leaf season... no dents, no scratches.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now I am considering putting a dump insert in the truck and building something to that. I know they make pre fabricated leaf boxes, but they are too over priced. I may talk to the local weld/fab shop to see if they can make a box for me to fit onto my dump insert that much cheaper than say the truck craft leaf box. I was quoted somewhere under $5k for the box installed. I was hoping a shop could make me one for around $1k? Has anyone done this before? I was thinking aluminum.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

save yourself some money and get a 14hp or the 18hp unit. put the $2k you save into a dump insert for your truck or down payment on a dump trailer!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't really consider that. I was pretty set on the 35hp, I would hate to buy one and not have enough power to suck up the leaves, or to do it quick enough. I have no experience with them though. I am however buying the unit on my credit line, so no up front cost, just a monthly payment. I figured I would buy something I can grow into if it is overkill at the time being.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

any tips or plans on building one for a 6x10 trailer? i'm thinking about building a 6'x4'x4' box for leaf cleanups this year, i'm just a small operation so that size should get me through a couple yards i'd hope. no loader either just dumping into it from grass catcher
Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't find a good enough price for a dump insert, so I think I am back to just a box. I am thinking about angle iron for the frame, pressure treated pine with metal slots for the boards to slide into at the 4 points, then maybe line the inside with plexiglass.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you decide to do, I would consider keeping it as inexpensive and light as possible because its only gonna get used for a short period each year. I built mine with 1/2" plywood and 2 by 2s with a landscape tarp covering the topside. If you go with that 35HP loader, you'll want a beefier front wall because that thing will really blast those leaves in there.
Wright Sentar Sport 52/19
Custom built bagging system
Lesco 36/13 WB
Billygoat 18hp truckloader
Bluebird plugger
Lesco split drive plugger
Lesco stainless steel spreader
Stihl BR600
Echo PB-620
assortment of chainsaws,weedeaters,hedge trimmers,sprayers and such