Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Small chain saw advice

My regular chain saw is a Stihl 023 which has served me well in keeping my 5 acres of Australian bush reasonably tidy.

Due to a problem with my left shoulder, I have been considering getting something lighter like the Stihl MS192T.

Examining this saw in a display, my main concern is that the chain looks extremely fine. How does it stand up in general use? Is it only suitable for cutting soft live branches? How would it go cutting up dead stuff?

I would still use the bigger saw when needed, but what I am really looking for is something to bridge the gap between it and my biggest pair of loppers.

Any advice would be apprecoated.

dh500
Old 02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

small chain saw

The 192T is a good saw, and the narrow kerf chain is just fine. The MS180 is also
a well respected little saw, and works well with me in dead wood too. The Dolmar 401
is built like a tank for a small light saw, and will eat through dead wood easily also.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS170.html

http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS180CB.html

http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS180CBE.html

is what I would look at DH500.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love my MS 170 for light work. dead and live branches and wood up to 6". anything larger or alot of it I grab a larger saw just for pure speed. I would think that the ms 170 or 180 would be the right saw for those little jobs and boy is it light.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh500 View Post
My regular chain saw is a Stihl 023 which has served me well in keeping my 5 acres of Australian bush reasonably tidy.

Due to a problem with my left shoulder, I have been considering getting something lighter like the Stihl MS192T.

Examining this saw in a display, my main concern is that the chain looks extremely fine. How does it stand up in general use? Is it only suitable for cutting soft live branches? How would it go cutting up dead stuff?

I would still use the bigger saw when needed, but what I am really looking for is something to bridge the gap between it and my biggest pair of loppers.

Any advice would be apprecoated.

dh500
Take a look at the MS 200 T, it's better balanced than the MS 192 T.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a stihl ms 180C. Fantastic saw for smaller branches and light trimming. I have the GREEN CHAIN on mine which is more agressive then the yellow one. I also have the ms 290 stihl with yellow chain- not as agressive but never had a problem because it has a lot of power. you want the green chain on the smaller saw because it has a lot less power. I also have the quick chain ajuster on mine- nice feature

best of luck
Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
I love my MS 170 for light work. dead and live branches and wood up to 6". anything larger or alot of it I grab a larger saw just for pure speed. I would think that the ms 170 or 180 would be the right saw for those little jobs and boy is it light.
A month later and pulling out the saw a few times I noticed I had the MS 180 and not the 170. I remember wanting the actual steel dogs. Oh well you can tell it hasn't been used for a while ehhh!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1981 View Post
I just picked up a stihl ms 180C. Fantastic saw for smaller branches and light trimming. I have the GREEN CHAIN on mine which is more aggressive then the yellow one. I also have the ms 290 stihl with yellow chain- not as aggressive but never had a problem because it has a lot of power. you want the green chain on the smaller saw because it has a lot less power. I also have the quick chain adjuster on mine- nice feature

best of luck
the green chain is low kickback and a little less aggressive
than the yellow ones, the color is a safety thing
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potchkins View Post
the green chain is low kickback and a little less aggressive
than the yellow ones, the color is a safety thing
haha yea I just realized that after I picked up the most agressive chain you can get for the ms 290- yellow chain, man im glad I picked it up- 20 bucks for a chain and 500 or so new saw- big diference.

never have a problem with green chain on ms 180 for light trimming and gpoing through bigger stuff
Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dh 500 what did u end up getting?