Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Turf Tiger rear wheel Valve Stem?

Anyone replace these little leaking buggers? It is on the 24 inch rim and Scag will gladly sell it but you must by the rim also. I need to replace the whole little bastard, not just the core. What would the size be, so I can go local and get a set of these for $4.00?
TIA
Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I picked up a bunch of valve stems off the floor at discount tire and as far as I know they fit everything. I use them in my little scag tires trailers etc etc. Hope there is only one size
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I picked up a bunch of valve stems off the floor at discount tire and as far as I know they fit everything. I use them in my little scag tires trailers etc etc. Hope there is only one size
I always figured there was only 1 size. But this summer when I went to advance auto parts to get some they had 3 sizes available. Had to go home and measure the ones I had to get the right size.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yup just get some stems from napa or a parts store. Use some dish soap and needle nose pliers and a flat head screw driver and get to squeezing, pushing and swearing! It'll go in. I know it looks impossible but keep trying to figure out the squeeze and push ratio and voila! DONE.. I've done a bunch of them. And in no time you'll be able to do them in under 3 minutes. Tear it up!!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Much Much easier than removing the tire!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you have hub caps you want the shortest stem you can get. The reason being, you don't want a long valve stem hanging out to get caught on something and be ripped out. Remember Murphy's Law. If some can go wrong, it will go wrong.

Oh yeah, always put a new valve stem in when you change the tires. ALWAYS!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

That's the idea. Changing tires and I need to replace the stem, length is easy enough, but the size of the hole seems to be a trade secret. I guess when I rip the old one out I will know and tell the world what size it is, but I wanted to order it with the tires.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
but the size of the hole seems to be a trade secret. I guess when I rip the old one out I will know and tell the world what size it is, but I wanted to order it with the tires.
An automotive type valve stem is an automotive type valve stem. They're all the same diameter. It's a .453" hole.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
An automotive type valve stem is an automotive type valve stem. They're all the same diameter. It's a .453" hole.
While I would like to believe this as true, It simply is not the case. All automotive type stems are not the same size and .625 for one comes to mind. Any way the most common is .453 for automotive type stems but this is a lawn equipment rim and I do not know if it would fall under the automotive class. In any case I was looking for a positive ID of the hole diameter.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
While I would like to believe this as true, It simply is not the case. All automotive type stems are not the same size and .625 for one comes to mind.
.625 is a heavy duty/performance style valve stem and is not normally seen in automotive applications.

You're really reading too much into this. Order your tires, when they get here take them to the tire shop and have them changed. The tire shop will have the correct valve stems.

And yes, I do take mine to the tire shop to have them changed. The smaller front tires I do here, the bigger rear tires fit nicely on a tire machine so I let them do it.