Register free!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Water Killing New Seeds

Earlier this season, as the heat was fading away and we got our first temporary cool-down with a rain,,, I started over-seeding irrigated lawns...

Well, the seedlings grew in the areas where soil could be worked properly, and this is a soil that can retain moisture as good as any soil has... the weather continues to cool and the danger of the seedlings dieing in the elements are @ 0(zero) now...

However,,, the over-watering practices that caused the lawns to require over-seeding in the first place are now killing the new seed the same way... irrigation pounding the soil, sorting one grain of sand at a time, creating puddle areas and the silt and the clays, separate out and float on top of that little puddle every day, after day, after bloody day... that little puddle becomes larger and larger until it is visible through the canopy of turf as a dead zone...

Does anyone else try to get a client to set practices in accordance with the changes with weather,,, only to watch your labor turn to dirt???
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes ! This year, the clients who watered non-stop, everyday, during the heat/ humidity that lasted forever, had the most disease damaged lawns ever !! Those who listened, and have much better cultural practices, enjoy a healthy beautiful lawn. Last night we got over an inch+ of hammering rain and I roll into a neighborhood to do a seeding job and see 3 houses that have their systems running !
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk117 View Post
Yes ! This year, the clients who watered non-stop, everyday, during the heat/ humidity that lasted forever, had the most disease damaged lawns ever !! Those who listened, and have much better cultural practices, enjoy a healthy beautiful lawn. Last night we got over an inch+ of hammering rain and I roll into a neighborhood to do a seeding job and see 3 houses that have their systems running !
I was through the neighborhood the other day and took a walk and I see 50% new seedling loss and the same 'paved-over look' that I started with before the aeration...

Heading over there again today and it be only be a matter of: "Will any new seed make it through the Fall or will the same thing kill the children, that killed the adults??"...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What is the word they use to mean that the plants are yellowing because they can't take in Nitrogen, even though it is there???

Its a common malady for many crops that find themselves sitting in a pool of water for extended periods of time,,, during the Spring Rains... There's a word for that which also applies when there are others causes of this yellowing phenomena...

Anyways, since the colder weather isn't really allowing anything to evaporate, this lawn is showing signs of color change now...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We wil be over seeding next week.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chlorosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
What is the word they use to mean that the plants are yellowing because they can't take in Nitrogen, even though it is there???

Its a common malady for many crops that find themselves sitting in a pool of water for extended periods of time,,, during the Spring Rains... There's a word for that which also applies when there are others causes of this yellowing phenomena...

Anyways, since the colder weather isn't really allowing anything to evaporate, this lawn is showing signs of color change now...
That's what it's called: Chlorosis!!!

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.cfm

Control
Treatment for chlorosis varies with the cause. If the chlorosis is due to soil compaction, poor drainage, poor root growth or root injury, then core aerification, tiling, mulching or some other cultural practice may be needed. Nutrient deficiencies can be treated in one of several ways.