Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snapperpro s50x coming up on 100 hours, tune up required?

I haven't had any problems at all with my Snapperpro s50x 2012 ztr but have not done any maintenance on it, NONE. I called my dealer up today and he said that a tuneup/oilchange would be $100. What exactly should I be asking to have done for my Z? Paying $100 for just an oil change seems dumb, this is why i want to know what I should ask them to include. I think they said oil change and hit the spots needing grease and maybe just looking it over? Not really sure they are going to go above and beyond for me so I wanted to know what I should prompt them into looking at/doing. Any help here? Thanks, Ron.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You should have changed oil/filter at the 8 hour mark. I hope you did that. If so, you don't need to change the oil now. Yes, grease the fittings, but that is easily something you can do yourself. I def wouldn't pay the shop $100 for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plugs at 500 hours on a Kawi...oil at 8, 100, 100 and hydro at 50, 250 and 250 if I recall...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 27hp briggs. I did not change oil or filter . What type of oil should i pick up? Do you think that the guys at a car garage could oil change this ztr for a lot less? Lol.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
It's a 27hp briggs. I did not change oil or filter . What type of oil should i pick up? Do you think that the guys at a car garage could oil change this ztr for a lot less? Lol.
Why wouldnt you change it yourself...it's easier than riding a bike....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Why wouldnt you change it yourself...it's easier than riding a bike....
Posted via Mobile Device
And it doesn't even require tools! It's basic to change oil on a mower...really basic...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
And it doesn't even require tools! It's basic to change oil on a mower...really basic...
Posted via Mobile Device
My buddy has a resi husqavarna and it doesn't have the plastic tube to drain it, you have to manually do it....I was like wtf?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You won't be in business long running machines past their periodic maintenance intervals as if there were no consequence for doing so, if you start doing the maintenance right now you'll be lucky if you didn't do some permanent damage to certain components but keep running it and I guarantee that mower will be a complete disaster long before its actual end-of-life, so much so that it will make that $100 they're asking for now look like candy store change.

Not sure if you'll make it while paying someone else to do it, either...
But you definitely won't make it much farther without doing the maintenance.

Oh, and no, you can't "bargain" out more than what they are thinking that $100 is for, if they want $100 just for the oil change then it is very unlikely that you'll get them to "check" the grease fittings other than them saying they did... And it might seem outrageous but that is how it works.

Last edited by herler; 09-21-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You won't be in business long running machines past their periodic maintenance intervals as if there were no consequence for doing so, if you start doing the maintenance right now you'll be lucky if you didn't do some permanent damage to certain components but keep running it and I guarantee that mower will be a complete disaster long before its actual end-of-life, so much so that it will make that $100 they're asking for now look like candy store change.

Not sure if you'll make it while paying someone else to do it, either...
But you definitely won't make it much farther without doing the maintenance.

Oh, and no, you can't "bargain" out more than what they are thinking that $100 is for, if they want $100 just for the oil change then it is very unlikely that you'll get them to "check" the grease fittings other than them saying they did... And it might seem outrageous but that is how it works.
Actually I will make it in the business. I may not have all the grease monkey skills thatcomes with being more efficent in this line of work as the others but I do great work and have a loyal customer base. You don't know me. So to say that i will not make it in the business is a farse. I'm not here to boast my skills/reputation/networth/toys. I'm here for getting advice specific to this business that i can use to positively affect my work. I don't need some cynical crap coming from a guy over the net. I may not have all the experience and know how of most guys on here but i also come from a different background than most; Which is also none of your business. Thank you for the other responses guys.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ron, you need grow a little thicker skin--the guys that are giving you a little grief are just providing you with a little advanced warning. Proper maintenance is key. Yeah, you may not be a whiz at repair/maintenance but you can learn. If you're a small operation, every simple thing you can do yourself to avoid the retail repair shop rates is more green in your pocket.

Didn't the dealer provide you with an owners manual? If he didn't, ask for one. If he did, have you read it thoroughly--in fact read it twice. You will find basic maintenance info there--and it isn't brain surgery.