Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn issue....need help

Planted a new fescue lawn from seed 3 years ago. I live on Long Island, NY.
I've noticed (2) types of foreign grass growing amongst the fescue within the lawn.

I'm going to try to best describe the issue and show pictures.

The first is this type of grass

As you can see, it has a very intrusive root system that's just below the soil. I have an 8'x8' section that has this grass. I must say, it's pretty thick and plush now (September here in NY). Here's a picture of it in the area. You can best see it along the driveway blocks at the bend. The grass is slightly taller and greener than the rest of the grass pictured.

I'd like to positively know what type of grass it is and how/if I should try to remove it. I believe it to be "Bermuda Grass" but I want to be certain.

The 2nd type of grass I have is this type.

It's growing in patches in the lawn. The root system appears to be centralized with the grass itself branching out and running under the thatch in a vine like fashion and popping out.
Here's what it looks like in the lawn

It's the taller grass that looks like a tiny pine tree.

I would like to completely remove this grass, or whatever it is. Does anyone know what it is, and how to rid it ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone offer advice? I'd like to work on this issue this weekend.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregg View Post
Can anyone offer advice? I'd like to work on this issue this weekend.
Give them some time someone will be along shortly

I'm guessing Bermuda grass

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Give them some time someone will be along shortly

I'm guessing Bermuda grass
If the top pic depicts Bermuda grass, I may have to leave it alone. I thatched my lawn today (going to aerate it tomorrow) and seed with Kentucky Blue grass.
While working on the lawn, I see that this Bermuda grass is in a few areas. It will be too hard for me to remove it all so I may have to learn to live with it.

The other stuff pictured below I pretty much hand picked it from the lawn. I think if I keep picking it as I see it, I'll eventually get rid of it. I'm hoping the bluegrass thickens the fescue lawn.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
If the top pic depicts Bermuda grass, I may have to leave it alone. I thatched my lawn today (going to aerate it tomorrow) and seed with Kentucky Blue grass.
While working on the lawn, I see that this Bermuda grass is in a few areas. It will be too hard for me to remove it all so I may have to learn to live with it.

The other stuff pictured below I pretty much hand picked it from the lawn. I think if I keep picking it as I see it, I'll eventually get rid of it. I'm hoping the bluegrass thickens the fescue lawn.
The top pic does but the roots do not and the forth pic down looks like something totally different. Question, does this have little seed on it that shoot off when you touch it?

Ok, I see what your saying you know you have some bermuda; I wouldn't learn to live with it but if its only enough that will take a few hours to pull, do it. You can't kill bemuda unless its roundup.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's bermudagrass. My whole lawn is made up of it
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
The top pic does but the roots do not and the forth pic down looks like something totally different. Question, does this have little seed on it that shoot off when you touch it?

Ok, I see what your saying you know you have some bermuda; I wouldn't learn to live with it but if its only enough that will take a few hours to pull, do it. You can't kill bemuda unless its roundup.
No seeds that shoot off when you touch it. What grass does that? There was a batch of that at my buddy's house.

So, you think I should rip out as much of the Bermuda as possible, then over seed the area?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No seeds that shoot off when you touch it. What grass does that? There was a batch of that at my buddy's house.

So, you think I should rip out as much of the Bermuda as possible, then over seed the area?
You can but you'll still have problems.

I can't say what the second grass is for sure, but I'm guessing bermuda on the first one. If I had to take a guess on the second grass I'd say it's zoysia.

Really the only control is to spray the area with round-up and re-seed. But then it's tough to get it all.

The best control I've seen for bermuda was this years drought. I'm pretty sure most of my Bermuda spots died off due to the lack of moisture.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda is forever. Nothing you can put on it that won't kill your fescue and kbg too. Complete kill off with multiple doses of round up is the only way to remove large patches of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Bermuda is forever. Nothing you can put on it that won't kill your fescue and kbg too. Complete kill off with multiple doses of round up is the only way to remove large patches of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Which is why I say pull it, I take the time when I mow and put flags when I see it starts popping up then go back the next day or two when I have the time and go to each marker and just carefully pull it and try to get the roots.

I've successfully kept it under control in my front yard now for 4 years doing this way.

Yes, its tedious and takes a little patience

Then God created Women