Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad boy stander update

I am really happy I got my mower back and I was able to make $$$! Mark from Bad Boy went with me to one of my lake front homes, and I got earlier this morning permission from the home owner to lower my deck to 3.5". The grass was suppose to be Tuesday so it was probably 7"-8". Going slow and lowering the deck did improve the cut, and since the grass was high it did a good job getting it down to 3.5" with one pass.

Now that was the highest setting I cut all day. I really only had one customer so far get mad at me for cutting her lawn at 2.75" But I explained to her the patchier the grass the lower I needed to drop my deck. Using the analogy of her trying to vacuum a low pile carpet on high, it just wouldn't get all the dirt, if my deck loses vacuum I cannot cut all the grass. She said, "I guess..." and went inside. So I cut 8 lawns today with my deck set from 2.5" to 3" and the cut was good for the most part. Much lower than I am used to cutting, but it seemed to work, I guess I just need to separate the Gardener in me from the Landscaper. The damn landscaper only cares about cutting grass quick and profitable... Lol

Now what all they did? I don't know. I do know they replaced one hydro, adjusted the air pressure in the tired, and changed the blades to high lift, taking off my gators. What else???

Well, since I have to go slower, lower my deck to create the proper vacuum, the cruise back to the trailer is faster with the new hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just remember in the summer your not going to be able to mow that low on cool season grasses. You will end up with a lot of unhappy customers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you got it back and are seemingly happy with it.

I cut all summer in the same state as you Craig (though we may be a ways apart, we're in the same basic zone), and I never cut above 3.5". I reserve cutting that high regularly to when it's really hot like this summer has been. Normally, I cut at 3.25" like I told you in the last thread, and I've never had anyone be unhappy yet. However, if you cut any at 2.75" in the warmest months, you will.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure the high lifts had alot to do with it.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you and BadBoy worked it out and everybody is happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I had my old wright 61" stander zk I had bad cut quality and ended up having to cut slower and shorter than I was used to as well then all was good.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I never cut below 3.5" until today, well with the exception of one customer who likes her lawn at 2.5" Its really not the height but the package (soil, water, fertilizer, etc). Golf Courses maintain grass low grass all the time. But if a customer was properly maintaining their lawn or if they allowed me to do it for them, they wouldn't have dead patches and I could cut their grass at whatever height they wanted.

BUT I didn't say I like my mower, just indicated that by lower the deck and going slow it was doing a good job. Kind of like expecting sex and getting a hand job. Ya got off, but it still not like getting laid....LOL!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I never cut below 3.5" until today, well with the exception of one customer who likes her lawn at 2.5" Its really not the height but the package (soil, water, fertilizer, etc). Golf Courses maintain grass low grass all the time. But if a customer was properly maintaining their lawn or if they allowed me to do it for them, they wouldn't have dead patches and I could cut their grass at whatever height they wanted.

BUT I didn't say I like my mower, just indicated that by lower the deck and going slow it was doing a good job. Kind of like expecting sex and getting a hand job. Ya got off, but it still not like getting laid....LOL!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's bc Bermuda is designed for short HOC. Not all grasses can be cut short...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How was Mark's attitude and demeanor with you the day you met since everything was posted on here? Please please honest and detailed while keeping in mind we all can learn here so we don't want another BB thread deleted.

Thx.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No offense to the Op. But everyone says its just cutting grass. But clearly the Op has a lot to learn and the whole situation and his comments clearly show this.

Dave...