Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
No offense to the Op. But everyone says its just cutting grass. But clearly the Op has a lot to learn and the whole situation and his comments clearly show this.

Dave...
What do you mean it's just cutting grass? Isn't what LS is for, discussion, education, best practices.....

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
What do you mean it's just cutting grass? Isn't what LS is for, discussion, education, best practices.....
He's saying that so many people think oh it's so easy it's just cutting grass....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it is easy cutting grass, his point is there are things that you pick up on with experience, like if it's patchy or thin, it's actually going to look better when it's cut around 3", but if it's nice and thick and irrigated you want to be more around 4", 3" with healthy grass looks like ****, clearly craig doesn't understand this...and i will have to say this after reading all of these stupid a$$ threads, craig, you don't seem very intelligent at all...from what i am picking up is first off you approached this whole issue all wrong, basically saying you had a bad machine, which in fact seems like you simply don't know what you are doing, AND you weigh 300 pounds...you sound like the guy who has gotten a lot of hand jobs if you catch my drift, and that's not directed at your weight...i am now 100% on the dealers/rep's side because craig bashed him so the rep felt like it was personal, which it was, and he simply tried to make his point...i understand it was probably better handled had he not said anything at all, but dealing with stupid people can rub you the wrong way sometimes

Last edited by jbell36; 09-21-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
it is easy cutting grass, his point is there are things that you pick up on with experience, like if it's patchy or thin, it's actually going to look better when it's cut around 3", but if it's nice and thick and irrigated you want to be more around 4", 3" with healthy grass looks like ****...and i will have to say this after reading all of these stupid a$$ threads, craig, you don't seem very intelligent at all...from what i am picking up is first off you approached this whole issue all wrong, basically saying you had a bad machine, which in fact seems like you simply don't know what you are doing, AND you weigh 300 pounds...you sound like the guy who has gotten a lot of hand jobs if you catch my drift...i am now 100% on the dealers/rep's side because craig bashed him so the rep felt like it was personal, which it was, and he simply tried to make his point...i understand it was probably better handled had he not said anything at all, but dealing with stupid people can rub you the wrong way sometimes
I understand how you feel in this post, but I have to take acception to the line about cutting at 3" looking like crap on a healthy lawn. I call BS on that one bro. Take another look (since you said you read all these threads) at my pics-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=387855&page=3

That's at 3.25", and it's healthy and irrigated grass. There's not much difference between 3" and 3.25". I do agree that taller is better if the machine cutting it can do a good job at heights over 3.5" (which many can't), but a lawn cut at 3" or 3.25" looks great if it's cared for properly.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I understand how you feel in this post, but I have to take acception to the line about cutting at 3" looking like crap on a healthy lawn. I call BS on that one bro. Take another look (since you said you read all these threads) at my pics-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=387855&page=3

That's at 3.25", and it's healthy and irrigated grass. There's not much difference between 3" and 3.25". I do agree that taller is better if the machine cutting it can do a good job at heights over 3.5" (which many can't), but a lawn cut at 3" or 3.25" looks great if it's cared for properly.
i mean i agree, you CAN make a lawn look good at 3.25", but you have to agree with me on the fact that 4" simply looks better...the reasoning behind this is there is a longer blade to stripe, i'm sure you know this...we have a customer that insisted we mow at 2.5", i absolutely hated it, it was like nails on a chalk board every time i lowered the deck, but we still made it look good...she recently said her chemical guy said it's healthier to mow up around 3.5 - 4", which is what we have been stressing since day 1, so we raised it, actually 3 weeks ago, and it looks awesome now, she is very happy with it...still trying to get the account for chemicals, but that's a different story
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
i mean i agree, you CAN make a lawn look good at 3.25", but you have to agree with me on the fact that 4" simply looks better...the reasoning behind this is there is a longer blade to stripe, i'm sure you know this...we have a customer that insisted we mow at 2.5", i absolutely hated it, it was like nails on a chalk board every time i lowered the deck, but we still made it look good...she recently said her chemical guy said it's healthier to mow up around 3.5 - 4", which is what we have been stressing since day 1, so we raised it, actually 3 weeks ago, and it looks awesome now, she is very happy with it...still trying to get the account for chemicals, but that's a different story
I do agree with you on all that, but was just pointing out that you can make a short lawn look good with care, and with a deck set up correctly can make it stripe well. However, it gets very hard to stripe below 3" as you pointed out. As long as your machine will cut cleanly, the owner is fine with it, and the lawn gets proper care, that taller the better in northern climes, especially for striping.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

jbell36 LOL!!! I not going say anything bad about Mark, he's just doing his job, and I like Bob the owner of All Season, so the issue I had was with the son. I asked if the mower could handle me and i was told it could, but it is clear it really can't. If I go slow and cut the grass lower than I would ever want it, it is now doing a good job. AND IAM NOT saying Bad Boy makes a bad mower, because I see Bad Boy Outlaw zero turns and they are doing a Great Job!!! What I am saying, I should not have been sold this STANDER because of my weight. The kid should have said, "look man, because if your size, I wouldn't recommend this mower. A zero turn would be better for you.". Cause this mower operates differently when Bob was driving it then when I was driving it!!! Because of my weight, if i try to get any speed at all the mower starts bouncing and the deck breaks vacuum and the cut suffers. So now I am stuck with a mower that will not function well for me unless I baby it. That's not how you make money! If my wife drove it, it would probably cut like a beast at a productive speed. I watch the Bad Boys Zeros cutting the same grass I am at two to three times faster and the cut looks good!

So bottom-line: The BAD BOY OUTLAW STANDER is best suited for someone 225-lbs or less, but it performs poorly with anyone bigger than that! It will work, just not productively!!! And how well will it work? I don't know because for ME it well be a mower I'M STUCK WITH that I learned will do a good job if you go slow and cut low. It will never be a productive mower for ME! It could be a great mower for you if you weight less than 225-lbs! But would I recommend it, NO! How could I recommend something that that doesn't work for me. Again, it could be a great mower... But it won't be for ME!

So... Slow and steady may work in fairtales, but not in real life! So Bad Boy makes some great mowers, i see them everyday, I was just sold a model that's BAD FOR ME! So I'm not mad at Bob the owner of All Season, just disappointed in his kid!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Craig-
didn't anyone there including Mark try to hook you up with some kind of front weights? If not, then rig something up yourself. It shouldn't be that hard to do, and it should keep the front end planted well enough that you can increase your speed a bit. Don't work around its physical features, make it work around yours.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Craig-
didn't anyone there including Mark try to hook you up with some kind of front weights? If not, then rig something up yourself. It shouldn't be that hard to do, and it should keep the front end planted well enough that you can increase your speed a bit. Don't work around its physical features, make it work around yours.
Mark was going to experiment with weights this morning, and may he did, I don't know. When I arrived this morning he said that he mowed with it and he didn't think it needed weights. After sitting out this week I just excited to get back to work. Mark can tell ya when I come off uneven ground the mower's front end will left a foot or more off the ground. Which is something I have become accustom too, and a reason I have to slow down, so I can use the hydros and my weight to plant the front caster back in line with the last stripe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OK I have followed all these threads and don't care to type out my opinion but what I will say is regarding your salesman. I am too nice of a person to say to someones face that they are too big for anything. Maybe that was the salesmans take, he didn't want to be rude, especially when his job is to sell a mower.
Posted via Mobile Device