Register free!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating? Don't do that. Not now. It's one of the worst things you can do to a warm season turf this time of year. I still suspect some army worm damage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thinkgreen,
thx for your help I was thinking along the same lines. When I saw long clippings here and there but none all over I was thinking it was a cut issue too much taken off. I know he travels alot so it makes sense. Just wanted a second opinion. I don't recall ever having a to indept talk about proper mowing and all but thats going to change. I plan on meeting him later in the week and walking the lawn with him.

kbraashers,

I have always aerated this time of year never an issue. the turf dosn't seem to mind it has atleast a month to recover. I haven't even dropped the weeklys to e/o week yet probaly do that after next week.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wondering if PGR would help fix this train
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe? I think he is just to busy to mow it at the right times. I think when I got talk with him I'm going to try n get him to let me cut it all the time, or I might give him a per cut price and since I'm in that area alot if he calls the week before I'll cut when he is out. Who knows. Pgrs would be nice but I', already higher on fert than alot of other guys and pgrs aint gonna help that.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to say this as nice as I can: You're questioning what weed nutsedge is, yet you think aerating in late September is fine in a transition zone? There are so many things that can go wrong doing this. You say you haven't seen any negative effects, well, are you sure? Furthermore, just because you haven't yet, doesn't mean you won't. There is a proper time to aerate Bermudagrass. Aerate for health. Not because you are trying to squeeze more dollars out of your customer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As for the weed, I suspected earlier that it was nutsedge, but when sprayed with dismiss there was no effect. Bahia has been a problem here before. I suspected that it was coming in again but wanted a second opinion. Again with aerating the grass still has time to recover. I don't aerated to squeeze $ out. Quite frankly I hate aerating. Its a big pita, but I offer and do it for the ones who want it. It would be better to do so another time of year,but that time it aint going to happen. Its spring the season is full swing end of story. I do it this time so it has time to recover and I've got the time.