Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

am i being unreasonable?

hey guys, i got into the lawncare business a little over a year ago. i had only a handful of accounts, but things have really taken off this season. one of the customers i picked up at the beginning of this season really overwaters his lawn, tot he point that he is doing it harm. it is ALWAYS unbelievably wet. he is the second lawn on my friday route, and recently asked me to move him to the end of the day because he says the lawn is too wet to cut in the morning. the problem is i have my route down as it is for convencience and efficiency. i told him that it would really be an inconvenience if i were to have to change my schedule for his preferences, and cited that i wouldnt' be able to get anything done if all my customers had a similar request. he was pretty unhappy but i feel like i would rather not have a customer like that than cost myself the time and money. is this unreasonable or bad business?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

Your business, your decision. You must understand that when a customer refuses to take your professional advice, the results can and only end bad for you and your company.
Politely part friends if possible and explain your reason why you are no longer able to maintain this property. Move forward.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gee whiz, if the guy can't refrain from watering right before you mow, that's what's unreasonable. Just say that you won't have the time to come back. I recently had a customer jump me because i made ruts. I tried to tell him about the sprinkler system, so i used a 21 inch mower, not only did it make tracks. It looked worse. He finally got it, and ripped up the sprinkler system. It would be nice if that customer of yours could see that light.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Gee whiz, if the guy can't refrain from watering right before you mow, that's what's unreasonable. Just say that you won't have the time to come back. I recently had a customer jump me because i made ruts. I tried to tell him about the sprinkler system, so i used a 21 inch mower, not only did it make tracks. It looked worse. He finally got it, and ripped up the sprinkler system. It would be nice if that customer of yours could see that light.
Why would he rip up the sprinkler system? All he had to do is shut it off. But a proper watering program won't cause problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ask him to not water the day before or day of and offer to manually run the system after you mow. problem solved
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always hate to lose a customer. Is it possible to run the route the opposite direction?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I always hate to lose a customer. Is it possible to run the route the opposite direction?
Pretty sure that would be a waste of time if you read the original post.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can talk to him, see if he will reprogram the sprinkler system. If not then you know what decision is best for you and your company.
If business is good and you won't miss the income I would have already parted ways. As stated this should be done amicably as if you are a dink to him he may tell 20 people and word of mouth is something that you will find is a big part of this business.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why can't he he adjust when he runs the system? If he will not th I would let him go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer jimslawncareservice: i don't know why he decided to rip it out. I was asking myself the same thing. Maybe it was a wife thing? He messed up all his border grass, and still has clumps of dirt all in his beds, but he told me not to worry about it. Whatever.