Register free!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ornamec.....

I sprayed some of this on some Bermuda that was in the middle of a fescue lawn. I sprayed it 3 weeks ago. I showed up 2 weeks later and the spots where I sprayed it looked as if they were scalped with a string trimmer. The Bermuda seemed to be "dead" and the fescue appeared to be stunted in a way. I scalped the yard, aerated seeded etc.

I was in the area yesterday and rode by. The lawn has started to regrow from the scalping but it appeared to me that those 2 areas I sprayed with the ornamec still looked scalped. The areas don't look dead as in bare or brown, but they look like I just ran a string trimmer over them.

Does this sound weird? Would the ornamec have stunted the growth of the good turf? I mixed it per the label but I really soaked the Bermuda with the mixture.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It will stunt the fescue also. Best to spray it with a ornamec and RU cocktail and then overseed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
I sprayed some of this on some Bermuda that was in the middle of a fescue lawn. I sprayed it 3 weeks ago. I showed up 2 weeks later and the spots where I sprayed it looked as if they were scalped with a string trimmer. The Bermuda seemed to be "dead" and the fescue appeared to be stunted in a way. I scalped the yard, aerated seeded etc.

I was in the area yesterday and rode by. The lawn has started to regrow from the scalping but it appeared to me that those 2 areas I sprayed with the ornamec still looked scalped. The areas don't look dead as in bare or brown, but they look like I just ran a string trimmer over them.

Does this sound weird? Would the ornamec have stunted the growth of the good turf? I mixed it per the label but I really soaked the Bermuda with the mixture.
Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Not trying to be a wiseazz but doesn't applying this way kinda defeat the purpose of mixing per label

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Not trying to be a wiseazz but doesn't applying this way kinda defeat the purpose of mixing per label
The hazards of "spot treatment". Seriously, when I want to remove bermuda using fluzafop, it is done with a mix of fluzafop and triclopyr applied as a broadcast application using a boom. Triclopyr acts as a synergist on the bermuda and an antidote to the negative effects on the desired turf species. I used to burn zoysia lawns all the time using fluzafop alone. No more, when the label rate of triclopyr ester is added. This is not a good time to play "find a weed". Bermuda grows everywhere and what is not sprayed with this mix continues to grow. Might have hit the visible spot, but what about where you did not notice it?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Yeah I guess so. So what about my original question? Any input on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
The hazards of "spot treatment". Seriously, when I want to remove bermuda using fluzafop, it is done with a mix of fluzafop and triclopyr applied as a broadcast application using a boom. Triclopyr acts as a synergist on the bermuda and an antidote to the negative effects on the desired turf species. I used to burn zoysia lawns all the time using fluzafop alone. No more, when the label rate of triclopyr ester is added. This is not a good time to play "find a weed". Bermuda grows everywhere and what is not sprayed with this mix continues to grow. Might have hit the visible spot, but what about where you did not notice it?
I have read about using that mixture before. Might have to go that route because another yard I treat has an infestation in a desirable turf area. I thought several treatments with fluzafop in the Spring and fall would eventually get rid of the Bermuda.

I read your above post, buut could you expalin in a little more detail what exactly the triclopyr does?

Also, I kinow Bermuda grows everywhere. I have been maintaing this lawn for close to 3 years and this is the very first time I have seen Bermuda anywhere in the yard. Its right in the middle too not creeping in from a neighbor or on the perimiter. I had to spray what I saw.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Yeah I guess so. So what about my original question? Any input on that?

I have read about using that mixture before. Might have to go that route because another yard I treat has an infestation in a desirable turf area. I thought several treatments with fluzafop in the Spring and fall would eventually get rid of the Bermuda.

I read your above post, but could you expalin in a little more detail what exactly the triclopyr does?

Also, I kinow Bermuda grows everywhere. I have been maintaing this lawn for close to 3 years and this is the very first time I have seen Bermuda anywhere in the yard. Its right in the middle too not creeping in from a neighbor or on the perimiter. I had to spray what I saw.
Can someone post any input on the question I asked in my quoted post?

Maybe Greendoctor will post again? I never heard back.....
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Triclopyr safens the application of Fluzafop to fescue. Without it included, the lawn is sensitive to very slight overages. Also, Triclopyr in and of itself is toxic to bermuda, adding to the effect of the treatment. Unless someone is able to use a fumigant, I do not believe that spraying bermuda and planting something else solves the problem in an economical and efficient manner. Fostering the desired turf and gradually removing the bermuda yields better results with less disruption of the site.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Triclopyr safens the application of Fluzafop to fescue. Without it included, the lawn is sensitive to very slight overages. Also, Triclopyr in and of itself is toxic to bermuda, adding to the effect of the treatment. Unless someone is able to use a fumigant, I do not believe that spraying bermuda and planting something else solves the problem in an economical and efficient manner. Fostering the desired turf and gradually removing the bermuda yields better results with less disruption of the site.
Thanks green doc I appreciate that.

I just did a job 2 weeks ago. A 20 x8 section of straight bermuda. I sprayed Quick Pro, scalped it, tilled as best I could, raked out what I could and spread seed at 10lbs/1000. I did that so the intial appearance of the fescue would look good.

I told the homeowner to cut it 3-4 times and then Ill be back to spray last time for the year any bermuda that comes back through because I am fully aware that it will. I advised them it may take a few years to get it to stop returning.

I plan on using the cocktail that you have told me about again in the spring and then again in the fall.

What do you think?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^Greendoc

Actually, the Tri label says repeat 3- 4 times at 4 week intervals for Bermuda surrpression.

I can read the Ornamec label, but would you recommend spraying it mixed with the Tri 3-4 times?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that is the program. You start when the bermuda and desirable turf is actively growing and keep doing it. Naturally, this program is not for lawns not on irrigation. I consider this kind of advanced weed control impractical in lawns that are not on automated irrigation.