Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering new trimmer

I currently have a Redmax BCZ2460S and run quality synthetic 50:1 oil with 93 octane ethanol free fuel.

My issue with it is a rattle sound at the first start of the day (which takes 5 or more pulls) and the rattle sound gets bad when at or near WOT and it doesn't matter if I'm cutting anything or not but it tends to sound worse when trimming thick grass.

I've had it for less than 5 months and the dealer isn't really willing to help me much without a charge to look at it and Redmax said that it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty since I'm not using Redmax maxlife oil. I use Get G's two cycle oil which meets or exceeds the rating that Redmax recommends in the owners manual. My guess the issue is a bad connecting rod bearing/bushing. Its probably been doing the rattling sound since it was new but I didn't do any heavy trimming or do any or near WOT stuff until I took on a few bi-weekly lawns that were super over grown. I've already checked to see if the muffler was rattling or anything is loose on the trimmer but everything checks out fine so I'm almost 110% the noise is coming from inside.

I'm considering the Stihl FS90R since thats all I really need power wise for weekly and bi-weekly trimming. Mainly around the house, fence's, storage buildings, and a lot of edging. I've never owned a 4 mix trimmer and I would plan to use it as my primary trimmer and use the Redmax as a back up. I have a friend who loves the Stihl 4 mix stuff and swears by it so I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a FS90R but wanted to see what you guys think.

Its sad that things aren't built like they used to be.

Any opinions?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Smallstripes,
Another thing you could check is the clutch, if the pads are worn down enough it can cause a metallic rattle like you are describing. You'd have to separate the clutch housing from the engine to check it, they are fairly easy to replace and not very expensive.

Regarding Stihl 4mix, I recently purchased a FS130R and I like it a lot.
It starts reliably, is very powerful, a little heavy but I've already gotten used to it. One major difference from two-cycle trimmers is that it's more difficult to run the line at slow speed on the 4mix, it can be done but it takes getting used to.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check the clutch. I do not like the new red max trimmers as they are a pain to start and warm up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a broken clutch spring. Why is the dealer balking? Its clearly still under warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any time a dealer tells you that it won't be covered under warranty unless you use THEIR oil or parts tell them to read the Magnason Moss Warranty Act. It says that if any manufacturer will only honor a warranty if you use their proprietary oil or parts then they must provide said oil or parts FREE OF CHARGE. Think I'm kidding? Look it up on Google. It's just another example of how we get screwed over by some dealers.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its been doing it since the first time I used it to cut some high grass at a biweekly lawn. And I'll check into that act! Thats crazy and some dealers just suck. I won't be going back there for anything haha.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tall grass can stress a clutch and cause spring breakage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Tall grass can stress a clutch and cause spring breakage.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess they just don't make things like they used to. Since I've gotten it I've noticed right away when it was brand new that when the head starts to spin it really has a weird/rough feel which is weird. Its done it since day 1.