Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo op from the house here. However If I had a few more trucks and trailers as well as employes I might have to look at getting a shop just for logistics sake. I dont plan on growing out of my pole barn and corner in the house..lol
Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS Lawn & Landscape View Post
I was wondering how many of you guys run out of your house (garage), or pole barn on your property? Do you have your employees park on the driveway if you have any working for you? City/Neighbors OK with you running a business out of your home?

My current situation is I rent storage units and use them to store everything and run out of them. Don't have the space at my current house. Have my help meet me near where will work (I like that b/c I don't have to pay for drive time back/forth from shop area for them). They like it too b/c they don't have to fight traffic and are closer to home. We are looking at moving soon to be able to build a home and pole barn on some property, but wondered if City or the neighbors near cared about you running a business in your backyard.
I do and will continue to run my business out if my home despite the restrictions my city has.

my neighbors have never seemed to mind. but then again I only have 1 truck and 2 trailers. the trailer not in regular use is kept in the back alley.

should I ever have employees they will park in the public street in my neighborhood.

as far as neighborhood rules about lettered vehicles. my neighborhood doesn't have a rule and I refuse to live in one that would have that rule. not to mention currently nothing is lettered in the first place.

I'd like to have a shop with enought property to store a small amount of debris saving me some trips to the compost site. but when your talking about paying money for a shop or free at home, free at home wins.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The last thing you want to do is start running your business out of your home and then get a cease & desist order and have to scramble to find a place to run out of. I run my small family business out of the house (plus garage and shed), but I'm in a small town and over 500 feet back from the road on 34 acres. The equipment I use for the business is pretty much the same as I would need to maintain my property anyway. In fact that's how my business got started...I pretty much had everything I needed already except for the trailers.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run mine from my house, but i get away with it because my house zoned commercial, Which is nice because i have alot of equipment sitting in my yard and no one can bother me.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well considering my neighbors don't mind I think I'll be ok.

also I would need is a place to store 2 trailers and a po box address for checks to come to. not really a scramble if you ask me.

now outfits with employees, multipul trucks and trailers would be a different story. but if I ever expanded to more than one truck of course I would find a place away from home because I don't want all that stuff sitting around my property.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM

No problems here except that I have run out of room in the double garage
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is one of those 3rd rail topics that most will avoid. If you have permits to do it then your good but if not its a touchy subject. Not as bad as who works for cash and doesn't report it but its up there on the list of do not talk abouts on lawnsite.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
This is one of those 3rd rail topics that most will avoid. If you have permits to do it then your good but if not its a touchy subject. Not as bad as who works for cash and doesn't report it but its up there on the list of do not talk abouts on lawnsite.
Makes sense.

You'd probably have to be completely non-legit/illegal if you are running a business from home without the proper permits. (where required)

When I was starting up, I didn't know what order to do things. I applied for my fictitious name with the state before I submitted my application for a home based business from my municipaality. Shortly after registering my name with the state I received a letter from my municipality explaining that they had been made aware of my business (I guess they check state records) and that if I did not apply and get approved to run said business from my home, I would need to cease operations.

I'd imagine for every legit business, there are a hundred that are not.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
why is it not talked about???

I've got nothing to hide. there are plenty of people in my neck of the woods who know I work out of my house. in fact there are a couple of law enforcers I've come across who know I work out of my house.

in my neck of the woods if the neighbors aren't complaining they look the other way.

as for who works for cash and doesn't report it. well yeah that's not something you disclose because there will be some jerk who will drop your name to someone and next thing you know your being checked out. even if most of your earnings are by checks and reported.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run out of my house.

I use two sides of the three car garage, rent from a storage place to switch between trailers (dump & landscape trailer... because you can't leave a trailer unhooked in your driveway here).

The storage place is only $45.00 a month and you can get into the gated area 24 hrs a day with your code....plus it's only 5 blocks away.

I always have one of the trailers hooked up to the truck that's parked on the side of the third car garage....and that helps me with my loading and unloading times too.

Some day I'll have a pole barn so I can store everything in one place!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader