Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Square for over a year and haven't had an issue yet. At 2.75% swiped and 3.15% +.15 cents for manual entry, you can't go wrong. Its basically just under a $5 fee every $100 you bring in.

Beats having to bill or go to the bank to cash checks. All evens out for me.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Good to hear thanks for all the feed back. I set mine up last night just waiting on my card reader now.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Used square this spring for a ton of prepayments. All went great until about a month ago i had an email saying a customer had a dispute and said i hadnt provided the services paid for. The email said if i had and issue to reply asap or it would be refunding the customer from my account. I looked for a customer service number and found nothing. Then i replied to the email asking who the customer was and stating that this dispute was bogus and new refund should be issued to anyone. The next day i got a reply saying they couldnt release the customers name or info and the refund was going to be sent. They followed through with the refund and i still havnt figured out who im servicing for free....... just to let you know i wont be using square again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard of that. I went and found several customer service numbers. I can't find language anywhere in their agreement that authorizes them to debit money from your account.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of my clients (lawn care businesses) have found advantages to using Merchant Service and GoPayment on QuickBooks because when they accept a credit or debit card payment, it updates their customerís invoice file and issues a receipt. It also updates their Card service Charges account. Bada bing all done!

helps make bookkeeping life easier
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Customer service number is 415 375 3176. Might go to voicemail but they return calls quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

paypal and square

We set up a square reader account about 3 weeks ago. My question to anyone who has been using square for a few months now or longer. Is there truly no additional fees AT ALL?
Im used to being raked over the coals with companies that have a bunch of junk fees.

Also, what is the advantage of taking paypal payments as well? Im kindof new to anything other than checks in the mail, so I dont know too much about paypal.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The advantage is being able to give your customers options. It also helps sell the big projects. Americans love their credit cards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

paypal is a way to pay online. Square is for taking payments in person (swiping their card). Big fan of Square.

Paypal is fine but many times they hold money longer than you'd like.

Wrote a blogpost about square a while back http://blog.servicevines.com/hip-to-be-square/
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we have been using square for a while now. originally we used them just for service calls. But last year we started using them for all credit card transactions. we have found them to be nothing but responsive when we have had a problem. We played them against another merchant and they dropped the additional non swipe fee so we pay the same no matter how we enter the card. But this was greatly due to the fact that we had a history of credit card transactions with another merchant, and never had a charge back. So they will work to land accounts if you will be bringing them a good amount of money.

They do have the authority to do charge backs if a customer disputes the charge. We saw that this year. The one time service call customer denied the charge of $460, which was a manually entered transaction. It was a call to a house, the customer left at 6am and didn't get home until 8pm, so we could not get a signature. Square notified us and before we could prove it they removed the funds from our account.

We were able to show them an email from the customer authorizing us to do the repair, our email clearly stated that we could not quote the repair price until we diagnosed the issue, but that the customer agreed that we were to complete any repair under $500 during the visit. After about a week they returned the funds to us.