Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Bunton Guy's Avatar
Bunton Guy Bunton Guy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,653
P.Services....im moving to your neck of the woods buddy!!! If you can for an honest rate pick up accounts that quick in one subdivision your one hell of a sales man! I envy that....

I have a few neighborhoods where we do 10-15 lawns in each. And MAN it took 5+ years to build that up!

It doesn't help that we have one landscaper for every 100 people in Charlotte NC.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Braveheart Braveheart is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Port St Lucie, FL
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
P.Services....im moving to your neck of the woods buddy!!! If you can for an honest rate pick up accounts that quick in one subdivision your one hell of a sales man! I envy that....

I have a few neighborhoods where we do 10-15 lawns in each. And MAN it took 5+ years to build that up!

It doesn't help that we have one landscaper for every 100 people in Charlotte NC.
Thanks, I gotta tell you, now that all I do is sales I love it, It was really what I was most passionate about in this business...

My wife and I are actually thinking of moving to Charlotte. We're headed there mid-October to take a look. Any places to check out or avoid? Two kids, looking for a nice family community
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Bunton Guy's Avatar
Bunton Guy Bunton Guy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,653
Braveheart there is a TON of good areas. It all depends on budget,religious beliefs,what field of work you and your wife plan to be in etc...etc..

If you want to be by the lake we have several: Mountain Island,Lake Norman & Lake Wylie.

If you want to live in an up and coming area that has good schools & fancy: Marvin area,Ballantyne, Fort Mill SC.

Are your kids going to public or private school?

If you still want to live in nice area but not to expensive: Matthews,mint-hill,indian trail,weddington,waxhaw areas.

The list goes on and on.....give me a shout when you head this way I can give you more details then you want.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 PM
WheatBookkeeping WheatBookkeeping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 108
Guys, one way to look at it is by the number of hours you work, but each hour should be as profitable as possible. You can work 40 hours and make $X, or you can make 10 times $X. With all due respect, try another metric besides just the number of hours you work. Remember, you are all businessmen who happen to be LCOs

I see it everyday some of my clients (lawn care professionals), the ones who are making a difference around here; all employ budgeting techniques that keep them on track. Say it one more time for us Braveheart, so that we all get it. “ . . . then that should come out of your marketing budget not your operating budget and the results of that marketing effort should be measured.”
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Braveheart Braveheart is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Port St Lucie, FL
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatBookkeeping View Post
Guys, one way to look at it is by the number of hours you work, but each hour should be as profitable as possible. You can work 40 hours and make $X, or you can make 10 times $X. With all due respect, try another metric besides just the number of hours you work. Remember, you are all businessmen who happen to be LCOs

I see it everyday some of my clients (lawn care professionals), the ones who are making a difference around here; all employ budgeting techniques that keep them on track. Say it one more time for us Braveheart, so that we all get it. “ . . . then that should come out of your marketing budget not your operating budget and the results of that marketing effort should be measured.”
Budgeting is really the difference between creating a company or creating a job...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
USA Lawn Care USA Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: all over the place it seems
Posts: 62
how i handle a situation like this is to take the job......subcontract it out.....and build business in the area (neighbors, etc.).
A friend of mine who lives about an hour away turns down work when it is too far for him to drive to. He refers the client to me.....I find someone in the area to mow it and I keep the customer and eventually get more business around it which eventually leads to being able to send my own crew in there to mow it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Braveheart Braveheart is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Port St Lucie, FL
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Lawn Care View Post
how i handle a situation like this is to take the job......subcontract it out.....and build business in the area (neighbors, etc.).
A friend of mine who lives about an hour away turns down work when it is too far for him to drive to. He refers the client to me.....I find someone in the area to mow it and I keep the customer and eventually get more business around it which eventually leads to being able to send my own crew in there to mow it.
That is a great idea! Great way to grow with profitable routes rather then profitable accounts - nice! I love it!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 AM
USA Lawn Care USA Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: all over the place it seems
Posts: 62
thanks braveheart.
the thought of turning away business just erked me......i started thinking one day about solutions to the problem and this works.
Now.....if an account is out of the way, until I get someone to mow it, yes, I'm sucking it up and probably driving way out of my way for the first cut or so but for a steady customer and to get into a new area, on a new street.......it's worth it.

i actually subcontract out lots and lots of accounts just like this but it works and a little money from the yard coming in beats nothing.

As soon as I know I have the new customer, i start looking for someone reliable to mow it or have my wife work on that part of it. I tell my new client that 'one of my crews will be here taking care of you' and they don't care or even ask.......as long as it looks good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.07517 seconds with 7 queries