Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Does your purveyor....

Notify their customers when there is a questionable increase in usage?
I received an email yesterday from a homeowner that was notified of a $30 increase in their monthly usage.
The purveyor noticed an irregular bump and recommended they investigate.
Works for me, sched. for Wed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Irrigation Contractor Irrigation Contractor is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Notify their customers when there is a questionable increase in usage?
I received an email yesterday from a homeowner that was notified of a $30 increase in their monthly usage.
The purveyor noticed an irregular bump and recommended they investigate.
Works for me, sched. for Wed.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have seen this allot this year with some good results, but for the most part caused a bunch of wasted calls along with wasted trips.

I guess the meter monitoring technology from what I can tell is allowing for either real time or daily monitoring. This is my guess based on the calls we received.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cactus Hug, Arizona
Posts: 20,574
Thirty WHOLE dollars? I'd think the HO bumped the clock.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
I tell them to shut all water sources down, the meter too. Take a pic of the meter face, wait 10 minutes and turn the meter back on, taking a pic once every stops turning.
Most of these people can do this while i am on the phone or call me right back. Once this is done i can determine how much of a leak they have and schedule them.
If they don't have a leak, i save time, travel and all the hassle of explaining why they have to pay me for proving there is no leak.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Thirty WHOLE dollars? I'd think the HO bumped the clock.
no irrigation boss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:34 PM
agrostis agrostis is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 1,740
Yeah, our local purveyor will notice a $750 - $1000 monthly increase, if your lucky. Most homeowner's have to contest a big bill and wind up paying half, most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
mitchgo's Avatar
mitchgo mitchgo is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,673
Most districts here let the user no if they have a higher then normal usage. Pretty cool because it gets us work.


So I got two very rural small towns .that surround lakes and there water system is from the lake of about 100-200 people each. I got in with both purveyor's... Of course there not supposed to say a specific company but pretty much they do on the 'low down' . I've been doing about one leak job a month in these area's.

I actually did a leak job in Redmond ( Which is a big enough city) the other day and the customer told me he got our name from the water district . Funny how reputation builds up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Most districts here let the user no if they have a higher then normal usage. Pretty cool because it gets us work.


So I got two very rural small towns .that surround lakes and there water system is from the lake of about 100-200 people each. I got in with both purveyor's... Of course there not supposed to say a specific company but pretty much they do on the 'low down' . I've been doing about one leak job a month in these area's.

I actually did a leak job in Redmond ( Which is a big enough city) the other day and the customer told me he got our name from the water district . Funny how reputation builds up.
Word of mouth can make or break you mitch and you're only as good as your last gig.
I was just tuning up my Fisher and the damned thing went dead/no sound.
I started testing for broken wires or bad components and looked at my headphones, they aren't stock and have some special features. One of the features is a mute switch and the one eyed guy must have pushed it off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cactus Hug, Arizona
Posts: 20,574
Purveyors are good guys to take to lunch, especially if they're the cross connection control officers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Stuttering Stan's Avatar
Stuttering Stan Stuttering Stan is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,453
I've had zero interaction with local purveyors over the past several years. Outrageous water bills are a non-issue because the meter don't lie. Irrigators are red-headed in their eyes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.08222 seconds with 7 queries