Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

2011 Z 37hp Kaw barely starts when cold

I bought a 2011 Hustler Super Z at the end of last year right before thanksgiving to be exact. Put it in the garage and tried to start it two days later and it would barely turn over. It back fires a few times then my battery quits cranking. Put a brand new battery in and manage to get it started. I had the same problem in the spring. Took it to the dealer and he said my battery was dead. He put a brand new battery in and it started right up. All summer things are great. Have a few cold days where it's in the 30's over the weekend and here we are again. It barely starts. Now I have read that this is common with the 37HP Kaw engine. Talk to me Hustler, what can be done. This mower cost too much money for this to be happening. Please reply.
Matt Vereb
MV Property Care
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Sponsor

Matt,
It maybe a couple of issues you are dealing with. The Kawasaki engines must have full choke when you first turn the key to start. I would be sure both cables are set properly. When you took it to the dealer and was told the battery was dead did he test the charging system? There have been charging issues with the bigger HP Kawasaki engines.Sometime its the regulator or the stator that gives us trouble. In the colder weather remember you are not just turning over the engine but also your drive system, you need a charged up battery.

Brian O
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

They all do this. I keep a jumper pack on the trailer. when you start the mower put the chock all the way out then when you get the back firing slam it down and it should start no problem. Mine all ways back fires when it is cold outside.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I always have the choke on when I start. No the dealer didn't check the charging system. I don't want to carry a jumper pack with a mower that is barely a year old. It does give the indication that there is some kind of drain on the battery. The backfire is not the problem I think. That just means that too much fuel is being pumped into the cylinder waiting to be turned over and then right before the battery gives out it will crank it once and backfire. I think this is a very serious issue for a mower that lists for 14K.

Your suggestion is to take back to the dealer to check the stator and or regulator? The dealer probably has a heated garage and will tell me there is no problem starting it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Sponsor

Matt,
On our older units (prior 2007) we had a starter assist kit (107910)that gave more juice to your starter, but your unit is too new for that. What you tell me takes me down the path of charging system. If your truck kept going through batteries would you blame the battery or the charging system? A draw on our units are rare, normally come with other issues. I would bring the unit back to get the stator and regulator checked. It doesn't matter how warm or cold it is to test their output. If the engine cranks slowly I point at charging. If it cranks with speed and wont start I look at choke. Please have some-one pull your choke cable up and down while you are watching it's throw on the throttle plate. The choke cable should close the choke completely. You may pull the choke all the way up yet it is not completely closed.

Brian O
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If the charging system is bad it will not matter what the temps are. I agree with midwest on the cable choke, maybe it's not tight any more, I know I replace mine about once every two years because they can become loose, if this happens then you will have a very hard time starting the lawn mower.

To check your charging system, start the lawn mower then take a DMM (digital multi meter) and check the voltage on the battery. You have at least 13-13.5 volts dc on the battery, if you don't then you have a problem, a perfect system would have around 14.2 volts when running.

Also when the unit is off, you should be reading at least 12.5 volts on the battery, if it is less then you have a draw on the battery or the battery is going dead.

Their is something called a VAT machine that a repair shop would would to test batteries further but if the charging system is going bad then it won't really matter about the battery because it is all ready discharging the battery.

Hopefully this might help you out. Maybe, Maybe not
Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

That's good info, I will do these things.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanks for stopping by, please let us know if you have more questions.

Brian O