Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Its not too high if the guy agrees. Why leave money on the table?
Posted via Mobile Device
Over charging is not leaving money on the table. That is the definition for ripping people off, crook, thief, robber, unscrupulous, low life, etc.

Leaving money on the table is done by being another form of bottom feeding individual known as "The Low Baller Cheapassticous"

There are two distinct forms or sub species of the The Low Baller Cheapassticous. In their developmental stages they are hard to differentiate.
They are The Low Baller Cheapassticous Temporary and The Low Baller Cheapassticous Permanent.

Once the The Low Baller Cheapassticous' reach the mature state the differences become readily apparent.

The Low Baller Cheapassticous P type as it reaches it's mature level continues it's juvenile behavior and continues to conduct it's low balling behaviors.

The The Low Baller Cheapassticous T type as it reaches maturity the T type has shown that it has the ability to learn. This is confirmed that the T type has learned that low balling is harmful to itself and stops low balling.

The diagnosis for The Low Baller Cheapassticous is that they leave money on the table because they charge way below the prevailing rate.

Over charging, ripping off the customer, is not to be confused with low balling. Low balling is the act of pricing the job so far below the going rate that they are attempting to guaranteed to get job.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Respectfully i disagree. The "right" price for something, whatever it may be, is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. This goes for mowing, used cars, houses, anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Its not too high if the guy agrees. Why leave money on the table?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't believe he left money on the table. I believe due to past experiences it was simpler to walk away from the job and the money. A job work order would have prevented this from occurring in the first place.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Respectfully i disagree. The "right" price for something, whatever it may be, is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. This goes for mowing, used cars, houses, anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't wait for the day when you complain about gasoline/fuel prices.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't wait for some people to run a real business with real overhead costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody esle factors in a pita surcharge when you get that gut feeling?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason, some customers assume that if you do a job quickly and efficiently that you must not have done a good job. I have run into this countless times. The job could be perfect and they have nothing that they can point out that isn't done to their satisfaction, yet their perception is that you must not have done a good job.

I think the OP may have misinterpreted the questions by the potential customer...he may have just wanted to know how much time to take off from work and how many cold beverages to have handy for you.............
Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know a girl that cleans houses for a living, she averages $50 an hour, that's driving a car with a $200 vacuum and using the customers electricity and supplies. So those of you that think I'm over charging should think of raising your prices or buy a mop.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember back in 2006 when I got my first Hustler Super Z. Mowing St Augustine turf in February goes rather quickly, as growth really slows in the colder months. Anyway, I'm flying along at full tilt enjoying the speed of the new Super Z (15mph) and customer comes out and asks me to slow down. I say what for? I told him I just paid over $7K so I can be more productive. Long story short, I dropped him. No body tells me how to do my job or how fast I can do it as long as my results are first class.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Nobody esle factors in a pita surcharge when you get that gut feeling?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure, I do all the time...however, I doubt anyone on here with at least 1 crew is billing out $125/MH. If they are, I need to move to that area. I can see if there's a job minimum, it's out of the way, pita, but not for continual work like pruning shrubs. Tree work, totally different story.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread