Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Maybe he was asking how long so he could plan his own day? If he is there at least you will get paid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup, could have been that. The OP gave a price, guy accepted. He needs to do the job. I agree though, could be a multitude of reasons why the guy asked the questions he did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know there is no way to prove it, last weekend I did a small pruning job $150 11/4 hrs from the time I drove in till the time I left, customer couldn't of been happier. I couldn't get that kind of $ per hr if it was a all day job, but smaller ones yes. Sorry you can't.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
I know there is no way to prove it, last weekend I did a small pruning job $150 11/4 hrs from the time I drove in till the time I left, customer couldn't of been happier. I couldn't get that kind of $ per hr if it was a all day job, but smaller ones yes. Sorry you can't.
That's exactly my point. So what, you made $150, but worked for a little over an hour. It's like the guys on here who make $90hr cutting a $30 yard that takes them 20 minutes. Yes, I have made over $100/hr easily on cleanups, but they are one time jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your also confusing billable hours vs a job rate. If you tell someone $150 for a job and you finish in one hour, you made $150/hr. if you misjudged and it takes you 5 hours for some reason you made $30/hr. billable hours is our hourly MH rate is say $25/hr. now, you get paid by hours worked. I can make $75-100/hr doing palm trees. But if I only trim 3 of them, who cares?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not confusing anything, I am solo and these are extra jobs I do on the weekend and have made several thousand so far this year off pruning. But this wasn't the reason I posted, oh well.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have just told the guy it was gonna take a half day and then showed up with a helper and two sets of pruners and done in an hour, i try not to tell a customer how long a job will take so ever, if they absolutely have to know i give a rough estimate on the high side. just because i have all the right equipment to do brush chipping,shrub pruning, clean ups and a lot more doesn't mean i should make less because someone thinks making 250/hr is too much thats why i try to never give an hourly rate unless i know something is gonna take a long time or the customer is gonna nit pick, then its 125/hr or higher for chipping and alot of other stuff.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well ain't that a switch. If your not a lowballer you get accused of charging too much. In the end it was just reverse discrimination. Oh well. We reserve the right to refuse service based on whatever reason we want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Bottom line, what's it worth to the customer? If he isn't equipped and doesn't have the experience and it would take him 6 to 8 hours and do a job that looks like crap, what you are doing is well worth it.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
I knew I shouldn't have put the price in, it's not the price we get higher prices around here, the point was there was going to be trouble after the job was done. No matter if the price was agreed on and the job was completed there would be a problem. Some will know what I'm talking about.
I think what you're leading into is that it's one of those jobs where no matter how high your price, it ain't high enough.
That having been said, 2 hours of trimming: $50
And I could do it for $40

So I have to assume that you shot WAY high hoping they'd say no.

Some clues are there, especially when they HAVE to be there.
Granted that bothers less in later years, but even then it can really twist one's arm.

Like one of those where for that $250 you're going to end up knocking out the trimming and then when you try to get paid
they're holding the money hostage while they keep you working until THEY are satisfied (translation: hours and hours).

Still there exist worse, and better ways to let it go...
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being that I'm in NY I can understand your situation. It's funny how people from other parts of the country can't see your point. The only reason a customer asks questions like that and insists on being there to watch is because he wants to see if what you did is worth what you ask. That means that agreeing on a price upfront is useless. After you finish and ask for payment he will nickle and dime you which of course is when he has the benefit of your efforts and you are in no position to walk away. And yes, there are certain nationalities who make this their SOP.
Closed Thread