Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Being that I'm in NY I can understand your situation. It's funny how people from other parts of the country can't see your point. The only reason a customer asks questions like that and insists on being there to watch is because he wants to see if what you did is worth what you ask. That means that agreeing on a price upfront is useless. After you finish and ask for payment he will nickle and dime you which of course is when he has the benefit of your efforts and you are in no position to walk away. And yes, there are certain nationalities who make this their SOP.
This is exaxctly right.

It's also one of the reasons I'll never work for one of them.
  #32  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 AM
leon2245's Avatar
leon2245 leon2245 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn
I was trying to be politicaly correct, there is a nationality of people that no matter what the job is, I have always had a problem with. Whether they question how many yards of mulch I used or how many bushes I pruned, how deep I edged the beds, it's never been smooth sailing. That is why I am turning down this job,
Assuming you didn't price it according to what putting up with said nationality would have been worth to you, why even give an estimate? Just so it's not obvious you're discriminating? I say I that case just name whatever price that WOULD have made answering his questions worthwhile. Because as it stands now you're going to come off a little unprofessional for having quoted a price, then saying lol never mind I don't want to do it, after he agrees. Though Not as unprofessional as if he found out the real reason, on the internet! Still my vote is to answer his q's, take his dirty shekels, & GIT-R DUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn
$125/hr
Over charging is not leaving money on the table. That is the definition for ripping people off, crook, thief, robber, unscrupulous, low life, etc.

Leaving money on the table is done by being another form of bottom feeding individual known as "The Low Baller Cheapassticous"
Well ain't that a switch. If your not a lowballer you get accused of charging too much.
I break it down like this- if your rate is higher than mine, then you're a low life. Charge less than me? Low baller. It's not that complicated. Kind of like the freeway. Everyone driving faster than me is crazy, & everyone slower is an idiot. Set your cruise control to MY speed, charge my hourly rates, & we're cool!

on a side note, did anyone actually think a thread title as controversial as "going to pass on a pruning job" wouldn't incite several pages of outrage here?
  #33  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
Assuming you didn't price it according to what putting up with said nationality would have been worth to you, why even give an estimate? Just so it's not obvious you're discriminating? I say I that case just name whatever price that WOULD have made answering his questions worthwhile. Because as it stands now you're going to come off a little unprofessional for having quoted a price, then saying lol never mind I don't want to do it, after he agrees. Though Not as unprofessional as if he found out the real reason, on the internet! Still my vote is to answer his q's, take his dirty shekels, & GIT-R DUN!!


I break it down like this- if your rate is higher than mine, then you're a low life. Charge less than me? Low baller. It's not that complicated. Kind of like the freeway. Everyone driving faster than me is crazy, & everyone slower is an idiot. Set your cruise control to MY speed, charge my hourly rates, & we're cool!

on a side note, did anyone actually think a thread title as controversial as "going to pass on a pruning job" wouldn't incite several pages of outrage here?
So if my rates are higher than yours I'm a ripoff. Really genius? First how would I lnow your rate, second why would I care. I guarantee my costs are different than yours as everybody in this thread has different operating costs. Your painting with too broad a brush there my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #34  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 AM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
OP, like others said, you can't just walk away after giving price & saying you will be there in about a week. Does your price include PITA charge? If the job goes smooth (guy not being PITA) & you complete in the 2hrs or less like you estimate & can afford to budge on price then offer discount when completed. Say something like "I quoted $250 but it's only gonna be $200 today" People like paying less than what was quoted.

If you really don't wanna do it...I'd spell everything out in writing on work order & swing by today & have him sign. Tell him you didn't have any with you @ time of estimate & you don't do work without them. It protects you (client) & me (business). If he refuses to sign then you have a way out.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #35  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM
chesterlawn's Avatar
chesterlawn chesterlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: s.e. pa.
Posts: 651
After thinking about it, the season is winding down and I can use the money so I'll probably do it. If it turns out the way I bet it does I'll post back. If you guys think about it you average $60 cutting lawns which doesn't take much skill, doubling that wage for skilled labor like pruning is more than fair. Anyway what I'm going to do is just show up at his house without calling and do the job, there is no reason why he has to be there and I'll just say I was in the area working at another property.
  #36  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
After thinking about it, the season is winding down and I can use the money so I'll probably do it. If it turns out the way I bet it does I'll post back. If you guys think about it you average $60 cutting lawns which doesn't take much skill, doubling that wage for skilled labor like pruning is more than fair. Anyway what I'm going to do is just show up at his house without calling and do the job, there is no reason why he has to be there and I'll just say I was in the area working at another property.
I really hope for your sake that when and if you show up to do this work and the customer is not present, you actually do the job and the customer arrives later asking you why did you do this job?, I have already hired someone else.
I am sure the look on both of your faces would be priceless.
easy-lift guy
  #37  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 AM
chesterlawn's Avatar
chesterlawn chesterlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: s.e. pa.
Posts: 651
That would be funny, like using your easy lift and getting tangled up in trees.
  #38  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
That would be funny, like using your easy lift and getting tangled up in trees.
My product has nothing to do with your in ability to cope with a customer and holding the customer to his word by having a work order signedby both you and the client, in the first place. Please keep the forum informed about this customer who has tried to take advantage of you and your business.
easy-lift guy
  #39  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 AM
leon2245's Avatar
leon2245 leon2245 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So if my rates are higher than yours I'm a ripoff. Really genius? First how would I lnow your rate, second why would I care. I guarantee my costs are different than yours as everybody in this thread has different operating costs. Your painting with too broad a brush there my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

You raise a valid question...


Hey 32vld, how is everyone supposed to know our fee schedule, to avoid charging different rates than us (thereby becoming either a low baller or criminal)? I mean i can shoot Patriot Services a quick PM, since he asked, but in general, for everyone else?
  #40  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
chesterlawn's Avatar
chesterlawn chesterlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: s.e. pa.
Posts: 651
You don't understand why I posted, it wasn't about the price or getting paid, it was about this customer being a pita which a work order would not solve. Once I am done I could get nit picked to death by this certain person, which has always happened in the past. Do you understand?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Page generated in 0.06874 seconds with 7 queries