Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterlawn View Post
You don't understand why I posted, it wasn't about the price or getting paid, it was about this customer being a pita which a work order would not solve. Once I am done I could get nit picked to death by this certain person, which has always happened in the past. Do you understand?
I understand, I really do wish you the best in spite of your customer.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Well ain't that a switch. If your not a lowballer you get accused of charging too much. In the end it was just reverse discrimination. Oh well. We reserve the right to refuse service based on whatever reason we want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ain't that the truth.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You don't understand why I posted, it wasn't about the price or getting paid, it was about this customer being a pita which a work order would not solve. Once I am done I could get nit picked to death by this certain person, which has always happened in the past. Do you understand?
A work order would solve some things. "Hey, I thought you were gonna prune the rose bushes?....Yes I can, but roses would be extra. Look at the work order, they are not included." Or "Hey can you cut them branches 1' up off the ground...Yes I can, but it'll be extra! Look at the work order, it is pruning, not raising bottom 1' off the ground." If he plans on trying to get extras or pull a fast one, he probably won't sign a thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 09-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
First, I think you priced too high. $125/hr for basic pruning? I could understand if this was tree work, but not basic shrubs. I don't blame the guy for asking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
You raise a valid question...

Hey 32vld, how is everyone supposed to know our fee schedule, to avoid charging different rates than us (thereby becoming either a low baller or criminal)? I mean i can shoot Patriot Services a quick PM, since he asked, but in general, for everyone else?
Everyone is not suppose to know what a particular LCO's fee schedule is.

I live in a high cost of living area. I only get $60 an hr to do hedges. At that price I only get half the jobs I quote. I don't know of people getting $125 hr to do standard hedges on Long Island. Though I don't do the mansions on the Gold Coast, or the South Fork. Those places have some tall hedges.

Even if the hedges were extremely tall, and or over grown, ladders and scaffolding needed, trimmers with 40" bars, extension shafts on power heads, only makes the job longer to do. More hours does not make the hourly rate charge go higher.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't matter if you have them sign a work order in front of a notary, a judge and a minister. I've had them still nickle and dime at the time of payment. Besides, there is no way to cover all the minute details when writing a work order leaving some things to interpretation. These people are good at using just that against you. The only way you are going to beat these people at their own game is by getting payment upfront and good luck with that.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Sponsor

You shall get what the market shall bare. All markets are different.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To the op, i would say i agree with you. If you can get $125 for an hours worth of work GO FOR IT.. That is between you and your customer. Most all LCO would say though that $60 an hour is what they charge in order to make money. I would however say for the landscaping part especially when doing an install, get that stuff in writting, that way he can't come back to you and say you were supposed to do more work or something other than what's in the contract. Another thing if the homeowner request that they be there when you do the work i would also say it's best that he or she is there. There property there rules.. Just do what you discussed with him and everything will probably be ok. As far as not doing the job after you agreed to it, just make sure to call him back and at least tell him you just overbooked yourself and he would have to find someone else to do the job. Either way good luck with your descion...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
After thinking about it, the season is winding down and I can use the money so I'll probably do it. If it turns out the way I bet it does I'll post back. If you guys think about it you average $60 cutting lawns which doesn't take much skill, doubling that wage for skilled labor like pruning is more than fair. Anyway what I'm going to do is just show up at his house without calling and do the job, there is no reason why he has to be there and I'll just say I was in the area working at another property.
No!

The hourly rate has everything to do with the cost of the equipment, nothing more, less or else.
Some might think it takes a lot of skill to prune bushes but I can tell you it's no more rocket science to it than cutting grass, I can buzz some wack bushes right back into shape in no time flat and one handed and clean up and all, even way overgrown crap I can take it down and have it all neat in 1-2 hours but what do I get paid for that?

A Ztr might GROSS me $60 mh but that's because the dang MACHINE cost 10 thousand!!!
Because AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
Maybe $10 an hour...

So guess what, your dang $300 hedge trimmers is a lot closer to $20 a man hour.
Once again AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
Maybe $10 an hour...

Yes, maybe!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
No!

The hourly rate has everything to do with the cost of the equipment, nothing more, less or else.
Some might think it takes a lot of skill to prune bushes but I can tell you it's no more rocket science to it than cutting grass, I can buzz some wack bushes right back into shape in no time flat and one handed and clean up and all, even way overgrown crap I can take it down and have it all neat in 1-2 hours but what do I get paid for that?

A Ztr might GROSS me $60 mh but that's because the dang MACHINE cost 10 thousand!!!
Because AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
Maybe $10 an hour...

So guess what, your dang $300 hedge trimmers is a lot closer to $20 a man hour.
Once again AFTER I am done PAYING for the MACHINE I still have to pay taxes and what's left?
Maybe $10 an hour...

Yes, maybe!
My thinking is pretty much along the same lines. I have a rate I like to get for just myself and then I add to that depending on what equipment I'll need for the job. If it's heavy labor I'll bump it up for that as well as for chain saw work. If it gets to the point of heavy equipment it's a day rate.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

time to wrap this one up guys and move on

thanks