Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Whats best to fertilize holly

Hey guys
I have a fence row of holly and been using triple 10 around the base in the fall and again early spring. Soaker hose around them all summer and they grew really well this year I mean better this year then in the last 6 years due to keeping them watered. I mean watered, 4 hours a week with soaker hose.

Is there anything better I can use then triple 10 to make there puppies take off? I want to change the height to 6 feet and they aren't that far away from that now, some just 18" but others need a good 4 foot of growth.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are trying to get them to grow faster, something with more N, but I have never fertilized hollies in my area as they just don't need it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use triple fourteen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a way to stop a holly from growing? Share your secret Kirk!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Is there a way to stop a holly from growing? Share your secret Kirk!
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't trim on them

Yes I found a couple years back they love to be cut on to promote growth and so I did. That, combined with putting in the landscaping down the fence row boy they took off that year.

Now something else I noticed.
Someone on here told me I'd be sorry putting down the landscaping paper
I started cutting it out yesterday as I go down the row fertilizing; the triple 10 I put down in february, still there? Soil underneath the landscaping paper was DRY even with all the rain we had lately (4+ inches since the hurricane)

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's the original thread
WOW!!
Hard to believe you guys got me this far, see pics.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=310844

Then God created Women
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Landscape paper is the worst...

One question though...

"Doesn't Fall N fert, of any kind,,, promote or force untimely green growth that doesn't have time to harden off or winterize, when applied after a certain point near the end of the growing season???

I'd heard that it is not good to fertilize(esp. evergreens) as Fall approaches,,, and it made sense to me...

My guess would be the winter nutrient K, being applied this time of year, but you've called my belief system into question...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Landscape paper is the worst...

One question though...

"Doesn't Fall N fert, of any kind,,, promote or force untimely green growth that doesn't have time to harden off or winterize, when applied after a certain point near the end of the growing season???

I'd heard that it is not good to fertilize(esp. evergreens) as Fall approaches,,, and it made sense to me...

My guess would be the winter nutrient K, being applied this time of year, but you've called my belief system into question...
No, not for us Smallaxe, I will continue to get growth up till mid December here.

I fert again in February and start seeing new growth mid March.

One thing (probably only thing) I do like about Kentucky. I mow 9 months out of the year you shovel snow 9 months

I have a sister still in Pa. where I actually grew up, so I'm always busting her ass about the snow and ice when she gets I'm already mowing and planting the garden

Then God created Women