Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Winterizer for Your Zone

This is a fairly good article that describes the activity of fertilzers during the Fall season in Ohio... It is unfortunate that the article specifies Months of the year... the reason this is unfortunate is because people in the colder zones will just look at the months,,, and w/out realizing it,,, they are doing exactly the opposite of what the article is saying...

"... Ohio State University research found that the spring color of late-season-fertilized turf remained quite good until late May or early June, when the effects of nitrogen applied the previous fall began to “wear off ”. A 0.75 to 1.0 lb. follow-up application of nitrogen is recommended at this time (late May-June) to maintain an acceptable level of turf quality throughout the summer period.
It is important to remember that the nitrogen source for the fall applications be relatively independent of microbial activity to insure adequate nitrogen release due to colder air and soil temperatures in late fall.. This means that urea, sulfur-coated urea (SCU), IBDU, ammonium sulfate and the more high-activity methylene ureas are the ideal most efficient nitrogen sources for the late season applications. Although SCU and IBDU are referred to as controlled-release fertilizers, the rate at which nitrogen is released from these fertilizers is mainly dependent upon soil moisture level and not on the degree of microbial activity. The use of microbially-dependent (e.g., UF-types, polymer-coated ureas and natural organics ) nitrogen sources for late- season nitrogen applications may not elicit the desired fall/winter color response because they do not provide enough available nitrogen for plant uptake when temperatures are low. However, these latter slow-release nitrogen sources would be ideal for spring and summer use. ..."
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, the website URL is:

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization

When you read and study the article and apply it to your particular Zone then the difference between Winter Application and Fall Application becomes clear...
This research applies to cool-season grasses and teaches a different lesson than what our "Local Extension Agency" teaches...

We do have very good extension agencies in CentroWisco, but I've never understood the recommendation of Thanksgiving application of "Winterizer" this far North... Does anyone know who, Hank Kimble, is???
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of how we judge what's going on with the crop or the turf depends on these sorts of criteria... It would be so nice if the lawncare industry could change its image of "Turf Monkey" dumping granules of NPK on frozen ground overlooking inland fresh water lakes... it would be as if,,, "professionalism" has come to the lawnboy...

"... It is important that late season fertilization not be confused with dormant and/or winter fertilization. The latter method implies that fertilizer applications are made after the turf has lost most or all of its green color and is not actively growing. ..."
Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The reason I bought this issue to the fore,,, is because I wonder if it makes a difference in what you do for the Fall Season...

I realize that most will continue to do what they have done or what they were told to do,,, but I like to bring forth rational lawncare concepts to answer the many questions that arise in these forums...

When "Ol' Wives Tales" and poorly thought out traditional answers are given I have a need to ask "why, do we continue the failed , irrational tradition"??? as answers...

I could be wrong, as well as the osu.edu could be wrong,, as the time-honored tradition could be wrong...
The real point of a 'challenge' is to strengthen the understanding of a particular issue..,

That being said: If there is any more advice about fertilizing cool-season turf after the top growth has stoppped,,, then I will emphatically state that those people who apply ferts do nothing more than wash good fertilizers into the watertables of the Mississippi River Basin, or the Great Lakes...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AX:
Hank Kimbell was the county extension agent in the comedy series "Green Acres". was a very forgetful and highly orthodoxed person doing such things as putting winter coats on chickens.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes Hank gets it right,,, well, not sometimes,,, but once in a while,,, I guess I shouldn't say once in a while, because that might mean... What was we talking about???
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heck I am not sure I will be doing much of a last round of fert in October at all this year, if it doesn't rain in my last fert app soon. Can't throw fert on top of fert.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Non-irrigated lawns have had fert/'cide upon fert/'cide from mid-June to Labor Day with extreme heat all the way through, with barely subsistance rains available for basic survival...

No lawn care,,, lawns survived in much better shape, than the TGCL wannabe lawns... in fact some full sun lawns actually croaked and the CG took over when irrigation was out for a couple of weeks... talk about dependance and weakness...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am so glad i live in the north west, its much simpler here.

BRINGING REVIVAL TO YOUR LAND
PSALMS 67
Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those of us who grew up here and worked the land, according to the seasons, for generations,,, it is quite simple and our way of life to excel in the field... competition with neighbors is extreme...
it only becomes confusing when non-Wisconsinites try to say we've got it all wrong and that we need a "paradigm shift" in our thinking... the same paradigm shift that they've brought into the gov't schools(OBE)...