Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
I would try to scare him into paying first. The lien is the cheapest way to get your money, but could take the longest. Hopefully when he gets a certified letter in the mail it will scare him into paying. I can help give you an idea of how to get this process started, but I live in a different state than you so it might not be the exact same process.

The other option is get a lawyer to send him a letter telling him you will take him to small claims court. This might scare him into paying.

The lien version worked for me last year. I ended up almost going to court to make the lien permanent, but they paid before that happened.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I would call and tell him you are starting the process of putting a lien on his house. You can put a lien on his property for practically nothing, and most of the time it will scare the bejeesus out of him.
In most states that's easier said than done.

In order to put a lien on a property, all owners listed on the deed must sign the agreement. So if the agreement is in my name and I sign it, but our house is deeded to both myself and my wife - you can't put a valid, sticking lien on the property as my wife didnt agree to the work done. Doin so is called "defamation of title".

So with that said - I go to the real data website and I write my contracts so they are in the name of all parties listed on the deed

Also, in this day and age - us little old contractors would have last dibs on any money if and when the property is sold. So many properties are under water, the property worth less than is owed. If the property were sold - it's unlikely and secondary lien holders would see a dime. I plan on living in my home till I die. Put all the liens on my house you want, the check is in the mail........after I'm dead!


Best thing to do is be sneaky. Catch the guy in person at home on a Sunday morning around 10:30 am. Trust me, he will totally be off guard. So much so, that he won't be able to talk straight.

Something else I do is I will use cell phones of my personal friends when I call people that owe me money. Many of my friends have company issued cell phones. I'm in MD, but I have one friend with a cell phone with a Philly PA number and another friend with an Illinois number. This trick almost ALWAYS trips up the customer! And if it doesnt work - no biggie, the customer doesnt know that the Illinois number was me trying to call. SO I then wait it out a few days and pay them a weekend visit.

Another thought - here it is 7:22 PM sunday evening. I'm home, you're probably home, and all my neighbors are home. This is also a perfect time for an unannounced visit. Think about it, use psychology - most everyone's mind is on preparing to return to work in the morning, the last thing we're thinking about is Andrew Hardscape coming out for a visit.

Another option is to pay the client a visit at work (if you know where they work). I have done this once, the lady wrote me a check on a closed checking acct. And I know another member here made a work place collection visit and was successful in obtaining payment.

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens. I love this kind of stuff!
.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Yeah a lien is a pain in the butt. I would try all of Andrew's suggestions first.

I was successful with a lien last year for a GC building a church. I went to the courthouse in the town the work was done and found a "perfect" lien and copied it to the "t" and then had a lawyer verify it. I placed the lien, sent certified letter to church and GC. Then waited. You have up to a year to make the lien permanent. This requires getting a lawyer and filing suit. About 8 months into it, I got my lawyer to call the bond company and tell them we were filing suit. They talked to him for a week or so then refused his phone calls. Then he made a motion to set a court date. Bond company called the NEXT day and wanted to settle. I spend about a grand with the lawyer filing suit, we went back to the bond company and told them we would need 1k more not to file suit to cover the lawyer fees.

I finally got the check for $7000. So liens do work, but they are alot of work!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
I am also trying to find a lawyer now that I can keep a "demand letter" on file to send to clients that don't want to pay. I mainly have trouble with lawn maintenance clients now. That way I will pay for the letter once and have it on file...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM
jbailey52's Avatar
jbailey52 jbailey52 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horticulture
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Since I'm already at the place house, $1,021 For dirt, $1,225 labor, $328 to overhead.

Mind you this work is done with a skidsteer, so its done in a day. (should add 35 man hours for the work)

Maybe it's your location, I can only find tandem loads of topsoil for $20/ yard delivered.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I am also trying to find a lawyer now that I can keep a "demand letter" on file to send to clients that don't want to pay. I mainly have trouble with lawn maintenance clients now. That way I will pay for the letter once and have it on file...
(spoken in a motivational tone) There is absolutely NO reason for you to be allowing residential customers to owe you any money for mowing services in this day and age.

This is 2012. All your residential mowing customers need to be on credit card payments. You debit their card within 24 hrs of servicing the lawn. If the card doesnt go through - you dont mow anymore until it does. This way they are not racking up 4 mowings and not paying.

My lawn mowing customers - all on credit card. No checks to bounce, no returned check fees, no sending out monthly invoices, and no waiting for payment. Credit cards dont bounce and incurr returned check fees. They either go through or they don't!

And customers LOVE the convience of not having to write and send you a check each month.


,
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Id have to switch 200 clients over, and 2% is alot of money considering that is 10% of my profit margin
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
MJK MJK is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
In most states that's easier said than done.

In order to put a lien on a property, all owners listed on the deed must sign the agreement. So if the agreement is in my name and I sign it, but our house is deeded to both myself and my wife - you can't put a valid, sticking lien on the property as my wife didnt agree to the work done. Doin so is called "defamation of title".

So with that said - I go to the real data website and I write my contracts so they are in the name of all parties listed on the deed

Also, in this day and age - us little old contractors would have last dibs on any money if and when the property is sold. So many properties are under water, the property worth less than is owed. If the property were sold - it's unlikely and secondary lien holders would see a dime. I plan on living in my home till I die. Put all the liens on my house you want, the check is in the mail........after I'm dead!


Best thing to do is be sneaky. Catch the guy in person at home on a Sunday morning around 10:30 am. Trust me, he will totally be off guard. So much so, that he won't be able to talk straight.

Something else I do is I will use cell phones of my personal friends when I call people that owe me money. Many of my friends have company issued cell phones. I'm in MD, but I have one friend with a cell phone with a Philly PA number and another friend with an Illinois number. This trick almost ALWAYS trips up the customer! And if it doesnt work - no biggie, the customer doesnt know that the Illinois number was me trying to call. SO I then wait it out a few days and pay them a weekend visit.

Another thought - here it is 7:22 PM sunday evening. I'm home, you're probably home, and all my neighbors are home. This is also a perfect time for an unannounced visit. Think about it, use psychology - most everyone's mind is on preparing to return to work in the morning, the last thing we're thinking about is Andrew Hardscape coming out for a visit.

Another option is to pay the client a visit at work (if you know where they work). I have done this once, the lady wrote me a check on a closed checking acct. And I know another member here made a work place collection visit and was successful in obtaining payment.

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens. I love this kind of stuff!
.

Can you expand on the real data website?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Id have to switch 200 clients over, and 2% is alot of money considering that is 10% of my profit margin
200 customers is nothing. There are 2 guys here at Lawnsite doing over $3 mil in residential mowing all paid via credit card.

2 percent is nothing either. You spend that much in postage and envelopes each month, if not more.

Gotta think outside the box.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Can you expand on the real data website?
This is usually offered by the state or by the county.

Maryland Gov't has a site that lists every single piece of real estate in the state.
Here is the link:
http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/
To see how it works, click on Montgomery County, then type in RIVER for the street address. Then from
There all properties on River Road will come up.

In VA, the real data sites are provided by the individual counties, not the state. Here is an example: http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/search/commonsearch.aspx?mode=address

So if your county or state even has a real data web site , you need to do a google search. Use words like "real property data" "real property tax records", "real property records".
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.07683 seconds with 7 queries