Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buying a dump truck need advice

So im buying a bunch of new stuff this year. mower, trailer, and last but not least a 1 ton dump.

Ive read a million threads on this matter but im still torn. I could use some wise words towards my situation.

My choices are between very similar trucks. Im trying to keep cost of this truck between $15,000 - $20,000.

I found two low mileage chevy 4x4 dumps. one is a 2004 gasser 6.0 with a boss plow. The other is a 2005 4x4 duramax diesel with no plow. there is a 5k difference in price between the two but the price is not my deciding factor. more so what can get the job done without causing me any headache. meaning gasser not enough power or the diesel being a maintenance nightmare.

I need this truck to tow a landscape trailer with a couple ZT mowers, tow my dump trailer when I load it will mulch, stone, debris etc..and to have as a back up plow truck.

I like gassers cause im familiar with them and easy maintenance. Im not familiar with diesels but have done quite a bit of reading so im becoming book smart if you will. I use my 09 2500hd gasser right now and it does pretty good even towing the dump trailer loaded. Will a 1 ton dump truck struggle more so than my pickup towing the same loaded dump trailer? A friend of mine who is very Pro-diesel thinks a gasser 1 ton will be a 'gutless turd' as he put it, when towing my dump trailer full of material. What you say????? Am I asking too much from a gas powered dump truck? I have a 7 x 12 dump trailer if that matters and ive been known to load that baby up from time to time.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

6.0 is not a gutless, but from what you said you will be pulling and hauling I would go with the diesel. Stone and debris can be heavy, so my experience you will load the trailers heavy and the truck heavy and will need the power of a diesel.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have both. I drive the diesel truck. I definitely prefer the power it has, but the gas trucks are cheaper to buy and fuel. The mpg savings from a diesel won't offset the price difference. Since gas engines are lighter, you can legally carry more payload too. Including the plow.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spent the day going to two different dealerships and both had 2005 chevy 4x4 1 ton diesels. One had a boss plow and was $21,995. Wasn't in that great of shape, cab rot, bed had lots of repairs done. sounded good with only 30k on the clock but looked like it was run hard and put away wet. The one salesman I dealt with was nice but the main guy was moody and felt it was so great people would be lining up to buy it. so on to the next I looked at was the 2005 with 60k on it for $19,995. much nicer truck. solid body, coal chute welded shut kind of stunk but otherwise a clean truck. young salesman gave attitude immediately. set the tone from the start. theres a bit of a back story with the truck but this guy was an idiot to let me walk off the lot. I was prepared to sit down and make a deal but apparently he didn't know a serious buyer when he saw one no matter how many times I reminded him. I was tempted to speak to a higher up and quit with the games and ego of this young salesman but their lack of communication with setting me up to come see it as I had called about an hour before, then one guy telling me we could do the deal and the young salesman telling me he is holding it for an out of state buyer who had yet to see the truck was just ridiculous. Then on top of it playing number games was enough for me to say thanks for your time and wasting mine. After looking at several used dumps the past few weeks I may do what I was trying to avoid and that's buying brand new. Whichever dump I buy I plan to run for many years. With the price of new, it will be a 2014 chevy gasser. they are 37k+ tax but I may receive some discounts, diesels would be out of my budget and I still have more stuff to buy this year. I got about a month before I need to pull the trigger on something. im still either way on a diesel or gasser, at this point id be happy to find a clean solid truck that i can actually buy to even consider! The 04 for 15k has an issue with the dump box, sounded like a costly repair so i pulled out on considering that one.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might consider buying one down south that doesn't have to deal with the weather you have and save some money. Just a thougt.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dodge c+c are 33k new 4wd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Member

For a pickup dump, why not go with a F550/5500 Dodge? Same cab, but much higher ratings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to get a dump truck, and be hauling stone no less (regardless of how often) I would go up and get a 450/550 or equivalent due to the higher weight ratings. Stone gets heavy REALLY fast. In the long run, getting the bigger truck would probably save you many headaches if you plan to grow.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my friend/mechanic was telling me anything past a 3500 dump was a change in where i get parts. no more running down to the local parts store for brakes. that you have to start going to heavy duty truck places or stealerships. and that prices are way up. i wasn't quite sure i need such a beast of a truck. right now i get by with my 2500hd gasser and dump trailer but i know im asking too much from the truck some days. more and more people lately want stone in place of mulch. The place i buy from weighs each load before dumping into the trailer for accuracy. its unbelievable how small a 2000lb pile of stone is. so your right on the weight thing. I haven't looked into new dodges or any new trucks really aside from the chevys last night online.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cant comment on the prices of parts and what not, though it does make sense as they are (i think) in a separate category as opposed the the one ton dump you speak of. I feel like in your case, it would probably be a trade off between more expensive to use the truck vs being able to haul more and not have to make more than one trip in most cases. It just depends on what you are willing to do, and if you plan to grow. If you plan to grow in this, I would still probably go ahead and get a 450/550.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B