Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most Kohlers need to be shut down at half throttle or above to prevent backfires. Says right in the owners manual.

I think the big reason manufacturers do things like this is Kawasaki will keep giving discounts. The more engines you buy, the less they cost. Kohler has like a few set numbers. For example you get this price for 100, another for 1000 and another for 5000. But after you are over the highest there is no more discount.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
My kohlers always have smoked since the day they were new. At least 4-5 times a week we will start them and they will send off huge plumes of grey smoke...kohler says its ok...I don't think its acceptable.

that and the backfiring is annoying! (25hp kohlers)

You sound like you are talking about the 31hp kawasucky on our new gravely 460. Couple times a week a huge oil burning plume of smoke on start up. I prefer kohler myself. Have had much better luck with them over the years vs the kawasucky engines we have had.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
My kohlers always have smoked since the day they were new. At least 4-5 times a week we will start them and they will send off huge plumes of grey smoke...kohler says its ok...I don't think its acceptable.

that and the backfiring is annoying! (25hp kohlers)
That's the same trouble I had with my kolon engines. They smoked like they were on death row when being started. 99 times out of 100. The backfiring I got around by idling them for at least 30 full seconds, but usually a minute before shutting down. They don't seem to produce the same amount of power as a Kawi does when comparing equivalent cc/hp rated engines either.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 24 hp Kawasaki backfires more than any Kohler I have ever had. I have two of them and one is great, but the other backfires ALL the time. I always shut the blades off at idle and bam, bam, bam, bam all day long. The dealer is a piece of work to deal with. The one has backfired thousands of times. I don't know how its still alive with 1400 hrs. Its only 15 months old. Its done this since it was new. I had a 23 hp blow a head with 1500 hrs this year. 17 hp Kaw blow up a few weeks ago, but that was 4000 hours so I'm not mad. That is all this year, but up until then I've never had problems with either brands. I maintain them meticulously too. I've had 3 Kohlers go past 5000 hours each. One is still running (barely) for another guy. I think it has to do with which model you get, more than the manufacture. Not to mention one guy that used to work for me, also used to work at the Kawasaki plant and he had stories of not even fully assembling the motors because they were all too lazy and it was super fast paced work... Makes me wonder how good they are put together, when they hire people like him.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had pretty good luck with both Kohler EFI and Kawasaki. Kaw blew smoke on start up intermittently for first 20 hrs or so. I've got about 150 on it now and does not do it. Kohler EFI has about 1100 on it and about every 20th start up still blows a huge cloud filling the 20' trailer and floats down the yard/road. Looks real professional.

Funny to me how the Hustler dealers I talk to all dance around the issue instead of fessing up. One even told me it was Kohler who would not ok their engines on the SZ due to lack of space and air flow below the hydro cooler.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
.... One even told me it was Kohler who would not ok their engines on the SZ due to lack of space and air flow below the hydro cooler.
That's very possible. There is an "Application Approval" process that these machines have to go through. Usually, prototype machines are built and sent to their respective engine and/or hydro manufacturer. The machines are instrumented and a run through a series of tests. In this case, the engine may have been running hotter than Kohler was comfortable with (because of the added heat from the hydros) and Kohler would not approve the application. (AKA not honor the warranty)

I'm sure there were many contributing factors to their decision.

Yes, there are Kawasaki guys and there are Kohler guys but in this industry Kawasaki take the Lion's share of the business.

http://www.lawnsite.com/poll.php?do=...ts&pollid=1951

Maybe they were underwhelmed with the performance of the old Command series and the giant physical size of the new Kohler Command Pro's didn't fit well in the Super Z Chassis

What ever the reason, by eliminating Kohler, Hustler reduced the number of SKU's in their lineup. This reduces complexity in EVERY part of their system.

By signing a multi-year exclusivity deal with Kawasaki, I'm sure they were able to get favorable pricing.

It's just business. Kind of like some of you guys dropping a few customers to tighten up your daily route. The loss is business is offset by the efficiencies gained.

Q
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawi also warranties for 3 years vs Kohlers 2 years. Good sales tool. Definitely helps in selling to the less experienced buyer's.
Posted via Mobile Device