Register free!

Old 01-23-2004, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi J & M
The larger the amount of material you are trying to mix, the more important the pump performance is. Most of the Hydroseeding manufactures of jet style machines us a Monarch or a Banjo Pump.

If your unit is in the 300 gallon range a 3 x 3 pump would be the minimum I would suggest. If the machine has a good design you could use about any 3 x 3 pump. You could add Homelite and Honda to the above list of pumps. If you are larger than 300 gallons with your tank I would suggest you try to find a 4 x 4 pump. You can mix 500 gallons with a 3 x 3 but you need a good design.

Monarch introduced a new line of pumps a year ago that were specifically designed for use in a hydroseeding unit. To me it is the best pump out there for a hydroseeding application. I will say that since it was your actual question. Banjo is a pretty good pump also and may be easier to find. You would have to get the Monarch from someone like us who build units where the Banjo pump is sold by a lot of people.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would try and stay away from the pumps that have an aluminum housing as the fertilizer tends to corrode the aluminum. The 4x4 banjo pump costs around $2200, do a search for pumps and you should find a dealer. Gould and Deming would be some other good pumps. I think DFI uses the Goulds pumps and I know Bowie uses some Deming. If your homemade machine is a jet agitated one, stay away from the gear pumps as they dont have the flow rate to keep your slurry mixed.. Engine size is another factor, if you already have a engine you might be limited as to the size pump you can use. I would suggest an 18-20 hp motor for a 4x4 pump. A smaller one will work, just not as well.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the info. The tank is a 1035 gal tank. I have used the seeder for a year but the pump that I have doesn't have enough psi to mix and spray at the same time. Hey turboguy how much does the monarch pump cost and do you have a phone number????
Old 01-24-2004, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

for a tank that size you probably need two 4in pumps. You can also increase the flow inside the tank by using enductor type jets. These jets are simple to make. Take a metal pipe nipple and an exhaust pipe coupleing and 2 peices of key stock. Place the nipple so it points thru the center of the exhaust coupleling and use the keystock to weld the two parts together. The theory is that as the water is pushed thru the coupleing the force of the moving water will suck additional water from around the nipple and thru the coupleing resulting in a flow rate 4x's more than what is actually being pumped through the nipple. The gal per min pumped thru the nipple doesnt actually increase but the gal per min of water movement thru the coupleing does. This actually works, I have three such jets inside my machine and I can see a big difference with out them.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi J&M
Well there are a lot of different configutatons as far as engines and pump flows. Monarch makes pumps set up for an 18 or a 25 or even a diesel. I think if I gave you our phone number Lawnsite would delete the post because it is against thier policy to allow non sponsors to promote thier products on lawnsite. We are looking at becoming a sponsor in the futur but for now you should not have too much trouble finding us doing an internet search.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Banned

I saw TurboTurfs 1000 gallon dual engine jet machine at the show in Louisville. The agitation that was going on inside that machine was rather impressive!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

can you help me i bought a used bowie 1200 with paddles it had been on fire i rebuilt the engine and packing glands new bearings put a hose reel on it new belts so now you know a little about it anyway i did my first job and i mixed it like bowie said and it took four loads to do 20000 sq ft so about 5000 sq ft per load with tower gun and a vee jet nozzle so any help would be nice i used paper mulch 400 pounds per load
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a trailer type Finn 600 gal Dont see alot profit doing hydroseeding ppl around here dont want pay extra amount over seed/straw I use mine to tack (glue) straw down I get some city jobs they want Hydroseeding
I bought mine when I had one big job in mid 90s 10 acres of Hydroseeding
mine has the bale eater agitator
Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

well i got a lot of jobs for it and i dont have a lot in it compared to a new one i just cant under stand why its only covering 5000 sq ft per load bowie claims around 15000
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns mowing View Post
well i got a lot of jobs for it and i dont have a lot in it compared to a new one i just cant under stand why its only covering 5000 sq ft per load bowie claims around 15000
I will try and give you a little help if I can. Let's look first at this from a mathmetic standpoint. You say you are covering 5000 sq. ft. per load and you are putting 400 pounds of mulch in per load. So, roughly without breaking out my calculator you are applying the mulch at 3500 pounds to the acre. Now perhaps if you were doing verticle slopes in an arid area of the country that might be the right application rate but I do think you are applying your material too heavily. If you have any mulch bags left go out and read what it says about application rate. Actually they overstate the requirements on the bag but probably say for flat areas like most residential lawns around 2000 pounds to the acre. I seed at about 1000-1200 and go up to maybe 1600 for steep banks and have great results.

Bowie makes a nice heavy duty machine and it sounds like you got a bargain and it should be a good machine for you. With a 1200 gallon Bowie you should be able to cover about 13,000 - 15,000 sq ft per load. I would suggest marking out that much area when you do jobs and keep going a little lighter until you are covering what you should. You are basically putting a little more than twice as much as you should.

Let me as a few more questions just to try to help as much as I can. How much seed are you putting in a load and what kind? I am not sure if this is a question but you said you sprayed it with the tower gun? If you are doing residential lawns I don't see too many that can be done with a tower gun. Those are nice for roadsides and big open areas but for lawns it usually is best with a hose.

It sounds like you have talked to someone at Bowie. I believe Larry is the rep for that area but it may be close to the borderline. I would be happy to give you his number if you need it.

I think you will do well. I do agree that there are lots of opportunites for work and it can be very profitable. Prices have moved up and it is not hard to do very well hydroseeding. There is lots of demand. I have had about 100 calls for hydroseeding this year. Most come from spending $ 100.00 to join the hydroseeding association (IAHP) but some come from my website as well. Most of mine are at 8-10 cents a foot with my material cost under 2 cents. Smaller jobs may go for 20-25 cents a foot. I do see some guys who get lots of work with everything priced at 20 cents a foot.