Old 07-20-2015, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Paver patio at my place..still learning

I started this a few weeks ago. I excavated and made my first mistake by not having a dump trailer handy so i made a big pile for the skid to move.

The next day we got anout four inches of rain... Anyways heres some photos.

Im not done with cuts yet and then im ready to do poly sand and compact.

My question is. Do you brush the sand in then compact then brush more then compact and kind of repeat that?

The compacter on the pavers is bad right? I saw a picture that DVS had landscape fabric bungeed to the bottom of the plate. Is this ok?

http://www.richterlawncare.com
Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Compact first to embed pavers. Then sweep sand/Vibrate.. Then more if needed. Make sure all residue is off. Use a leaf blower if you have on.e Then wet sand. Follow the instructions.

Creative Hardscapes
Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Some types of comcrete pavers will scuff with contact with the compactor via the metal plate. A rubber/fabric/plywood layer is to minimize scuffing. Usually a fancy textured surface is prone to scuffing & chipping. Clay pavers should have rubber protection too. However with the pavers I see in your photos extra protection is not needed but extra credit.

Looks like you're fixing to be the envy of your neighbors.

So why doesn't the dog house get a little paver pathway? Lol

Where is the water gonna go to from the downspout? Patio looks lower than over all grade which has me wondering about the water flow. Ideally that downspout would of been connected to a pipe and pipped somewhere else down hill so water won't flow over paver surface so much. Good news is this is where paver systems shine because you can always unzip some pavers and install the pipe later. :-) or just reso the guttera to down spout elsewhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by F4rm3rj03; 07-20-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Overall not bad. It's obvious there's things to work on. And I'm sure you learned a lot and will do things differently next time.
When building those walls it is critical to square them up off the house or whatever you're laying your pavers off of. That way your walls and pavers stay square. Also not sure how your pattern got messed up on the backside of the firepit. The patio looks way too low from the pictures. Before you even stick a shovel in the ground you need to be thinking about drainage. The more you do it your eyes will pick up on things like this without even thinking about it.
Keep striving to get better. Keep the design simple while you're learning and then the more skilled you get the more you can get creative. Best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys.

As far as grading, the high soil you see was dumped there when i excavated so its a bit high. The overall grade is relatively close.

The downspout mentioned only drains the covered patio so it isnt much extra water. I put that pan down to disperse the water.

When i did the columns and wall i did square it with the house. It might not look that way but it is very close to square.

I chose a complex design to challenge myself so if a customer wanted something harder i could step up to the challenge. I am definately learning.

Let me know if you see anything else. Im finishing the cuts today and will compact tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, that looks fantastic.
That said, the only thing I would've done different to start at the fixed point – that being the house/patio/foundation and worked out from there, and then put the "courtyard" wherever it ended up. That would have a eliminated a lot of the little "slivers" that you're going to need to fill that area where the two fields come together.
Also, your steps up to the patio are a tripping hazard – I wonder if step blocks would give you a better transition? If they don't go high enough you might be able to pull the pavers underneath them and use a little more sand underneath to raise them up?

It's very easy to look at a project "after the fact" and pick out a bunch of stuff. All in all, that's a fantastic job and you're going to do really well in this business.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 08-06-2015, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Can you explain your base prep please.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2015, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Excavate to 8-10 inches down, lay landscape fabric down. Two inches of road pack spread out then compacted. Another two applications of road pack layed then compacted. Sand screed and then pavers.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Its been done for a while but its not quite finished around it.

Those were all taken after i sprayed it down for the poly sand.

This was after i did the rock around it.

This is what i have planned for the plants

Posted via Mobile Device