Register free!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

A little rant about careless employees...

I would like to say this year has been good since the guys this year are all from last year and have been working pretty good as a team.

A couple little things that they have been doing that are a bit irritating. First is they bang and scratch the side of the truck with the tools or when getting the wheelbarrow out drag it down the side of the box with the sharp corners and bolts scratching going all the way down. I had put a new dump box on one truck a couple years ago and would like to keep it looking somewhat new. I also realize they are work trucks but would like to keep them looking nice for as long as possible and not have the scratches turn into rust spots. I tell them all the time to be careful to not ruin the equipment.

The other thing is the one guy will do 180's in the street to turn around. I have will skid some when its necessary but not to what he does. It also pulls the tar out of the cracks. I have said it costs me more money when he wears the tires out much faster and looks worse when the job is done. Do you guys do complete circle turns on the pavement or do you turn while driving forward and back?

Today all of these just happened so am annoyed and needed to vent.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call a final meeting and explain to your employees that if any of these acts of vandalism occure on the job immediate termination will follow. Make sure everyone understands that your not going to be taken advantage of again. You as the owner and manager of your company must draw the line for the last time and follow through.
Otherwise you should consider selling out and working for someone else who shares your thoughts about protecting ones investments.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

this is why I swear by used trucks. go ahead scratch it, you can't hurt it. Go ahead, spill a beverage inside, you can't hurt it.

And for skid steer tires - I buy "take offs" from the dealer.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
this is why I swear by used trucks. go ahead scratch it, you can't hurt it. Go ahead, spill a beverage inside, you can't hurt it.

And for skid steer tires - I buy "take offs" from the dealer.

My truck is a 2001. I'd still punch you in the face if you put a scratch in it.

Oh wait... SPILL a beverage?

Oh, hell no. You ride in the back with that Big Gulp!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I have all used trucks and skid loaders but want to keep them looking nice as long as possible.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
My truck is a 2001. I'd still punch you in the face if you put a scratch in it.

I agree with OakNut. Doesn't matter the age of the vehicle or equipment. Should always take care of everything. I even tell my helpers. " it doesn't matter cutting a ragged field that no one is going to notice the bare spots from the quik turn a rounds of the mower. I want you to make clean turns as if it were a high dollar fancy lawn. "

Oh wait... SPILL a beverage?

Oh, hell no. You ride in the back with that Big Gulp!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Wouldn't it be nice to have caster wheels attached to a hydraulic assembly that can lower, lifting the rear wheels off the ground, so you can zero turn all day long and mark less with a skid loader?

Sounds like they need to be told of good skid loader etiquette. Like minimize skid marks and grade smooth surface disturbances cause by turning. Next time ask them where did the skid loader manners go in a joking way. Might get some gears moving to where they come to the conclusion within their minds they should zero turn less on pavement. ;-)

About every three years or so I have to sand and repaint my truck bed (scratches are just part of the game. Scratches are sometimes just part of making money (hopefully we are mKing enough money right?!)So plan/budget on repainting to keep the fleet looking sharp.). Typically done on warm spells within January (nice winter project for myself and guys). Once some of your guys experience the amount of work that goes into that they may self police the scratches. Of the two guys I repainted with they both treated the truck better after all that work...
Side gates get treated much more gently after they understand what it takes to rebuild them and use rivets 1920 style. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep telling my guys....the beatings will continue until the moral improves.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Be grateful you have decent employees. Stop whining about minor things in the grand scheme of business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In all reality, people working in this field usually make less than $15 per hr. You're not getting the brightest.

You must coach them. You must have talks about turning the machine. When we were high rollers in the hardscape industry - I used to have new guys turn a skid steer on an asphalt driveway 360-degrees. It was up to me to talk to them and demonstrate.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.