Register free!

Old 05-31-2015, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Need some pro's advice on rockwall shifting

Hello,
First let me start by saying that I do not do much hard scaping or rock walls, and that the reason is because I know I do not have the skills or time to do the job correctly and to the standards it should be done. I have done a few natural stone walk ways but do not get into pavers etc. My hat is off to you guys that create such beautiful landscapes with stone.
So a customer I mow for and do a ton of other work asked me about his stone retaining wall that is apparently shifting. I told him I can take a look at it but wouldn't be able to do the work if it is necessary. I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys and your thoughts before moving forward (like referring him to another company).
I have attached some pictures. The stones are basically flat and just kind of laid on top of each other. It looks ok, but doesn't really seem to me like it was done correctly from the get go. I could be completely wrong, but would appreciate your input.

His primary concern is it appears to be bulging, especially at the first corner, as well as a couple other spots. They are clearly just flat stones held in only by the weight of the other stones as far as I can tell. Is this normal? Does it need to be dug out behind it and the stones put back in place? Any advice would be great, and thank you in advance.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I say no drainage behind it
Yes taken down back fill with grave and pipe and put back together
I don't fix others mistakes unless we can redo whole thing the correct way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That wall is a disaster there is no fix.run don't walk,I don't even wanna know what's behind it good luck��
Old 07-01-2015, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a similar situation, except it has failed already.

I have to get the pics off my phone and I'll post up.

by that much we move toward making the State our Master.”

~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 07-01-2015, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a complete tear down and rebuild. Can the homeowner file a lawsuit against the company who installed it?

What I find weird (other people please judge me on this assumption) the bottom half of the wall is starting to bow out. With a dry stacked wall that has very large gaps it should allow the water to flow through it (right?). What is causing the bottom to bow? Maybe he has 57 stone placed behind it but the stones are to close together to allow the water to drain properly when a large storm comes through. Or maybe the backfill is starting to settle against a wall that has no support. I've never seen anything like this before.

Make hay while the sun shines!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
That is a complete tear down and rebuild. Can the homeowner file a lawsuit against the company who installed it?

What I find weird (other people please judge me on this assumption) the bottom half of the wall is starting to bow out. With a dry stacked wall that has very large gaps it should allow the water to flow through it (right?). What is causing the bottom to bow? Maybe he has 57 stone placed behind it but the stones are to close together to allow the water to drain properly when a large storm comes through. Or maybe the backfill is starting to settle against a wall that has no support. I've never seen anything like this before.
Just wait.

I'll start another thread so I don't hijack this one.
Posted via Mobile Device