Register free!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Bad mole problem

I have a customer that has a very bad mole problem that has slowly been destroying their lawn over the last month and a half. They said that grubs have been issue for them in the past so I put down a fertilizer containing allectus in July. Moles started showing up end of Aug so I did a heavy application of the fert and allectus again beginning of Sept. Over the last 3 weeks the moles have gotten progressively worse. I even took a tamper and tamped down all of the burrows when I did the last application. We had a pretty moderate to heavy rainfall for two days after I did the last application. The entire property is on a fairly steep slope so my only guess is that allectus washed down the hill instead of into the soil. Do you guys think the slope could be keeping the insecticide from washing into the soil or do you think I should switch up the allectus. Their neighbors also have moles so any help here would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contrary to popular belief, moles prefer earthworm to grubs. Grubs are mainly food that skunks search for during the evening and nighttime. For moles, use Talperid. This spring we had such a problem with them. Use about 120 of the bait over a month or so. Moles have huge colonies but you've got to stay with them. An application of Merit in the spring is good, but if already a problem then Dylox would be your best defense. It may take a couple of application but does work. For you Talperid, check online. Homedepot has a product called Tomcat with the same AI in it, but it is something like $19/6 worms. Talperid from domyownpestcontrol.com is $40/20 baits.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend setting traps. They make a wide variety and most are inexpensive. All are easy to set. With traps you know you are eliminating the problem and can show results to the customer.