Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone switched from PC to Mac

anyone made the switch? I only use quickbooks, email and spreadsheets and that's it.. I bought my office manager and my wife new laptops recently and man that windows 8 is GROSS (they downloaded some program to give them the windows 7 start bar, but its still half azzed and they have a bunch of random bugs on there laptops).. ive been hanging on to my 2 year old dell because I don't want windows 8, everyone I know that owns a mac raves about it but some of they are real artsy people (photo, video editing, etc) didn't know if any biz owners on here us macs daily for biz?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I went from PC to Apple.... iPhone, iPad Air, Macbook Pro Retina, Mac Book Air... no plans of changing.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am interested in making this switch soon too. From what I have read, this is easier to do now than it would have been 8-10 years ago. Also more attractive. I have friends in other businesses who have switched and never looked back. In fact they report that all parts of their computing lives are better. I am so entrenched in the iPad and iPhone that I know this makes sense for me. I just have to pull the trigger and make time to learn it. Like you, I'm interested in what others think.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea im looking at the Air, im on the road a lot and hate clunky laptops..

since I know nothing of Mac or how they work. Can I send spreadsheets/word docs, etc to the other people in our office who run PC? so if I edit a word doc and email it to them, its not a problem?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run everything through MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone.

Seamless integration. Use quickbooks with no problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I switched about 2 years ago. Main reason was trying to get all of the different operating systems to talk to rash other. Apple does this really well, and it is going to be even better this fall when they up grade the operating system. I do all of the same thing it sounds like you want to. I have a mac desktop, mac air 13", iPad gen 4, and iphone 5, waiting for the big screen 6 this fall too. I do all of the same things you asked about, email, Q-Books, field reporting.....
Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

The integration is what drew me to Apple after I had the iPhone. I figured out a couple weeks ago that with 5 clicks from my management software I could export my customers to my contacts which iCloud spread to those devices nearly instantly.

Our phones and iPads back up to my computer, my computer backs up to a time capsule and another drive. Monday this phone gets replaced via AppleCare. I'll backup my phone manually before going into the store, plug the new phone into the laptop and in an hour or two it will be like my former phone, minus the cracks and dents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I switched to a Mac this year. It's been great. Much faster then my old Dell laptop. My accountant told me not to get the mac version of Quickbooks so I installed Parallels and Windows7 so I could run pc software.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

switched to apple years ago.

windows 8 is horribly unproductive, keeps wanting to do its own thing and too much guess work.
I hate apple auto correct, but win8 is a massacre in comparison.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well I went out and bought a MacBook air a few hours ago.. so far it seems really smooth, well see after a year or so!

what do you guys run on your mac's that is similar to MS office or just buy ms office?