Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

business license

So how many of you have a business license?

Are we required to be licensed by law? I see so many lawn care companies out there and I know they all can't be licensed. I tried to license my business but where I live isn't zone for business. So how the heck do you get a license when you live on a residential property?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some counties don't require them. I tried to get one a year or two ago and they told me I didn't need one so I guess didn't wanna give me one just because of that. If you work from your house just put that down as your address? I don't think it would matter since technically you don't have a business location
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Well the whole thing was I went to my bank to change my business name on my account to match my web address and the lady told me i need some proof of document that I'm licensed. She said that it is a law since some time after 2006 when I switched to that bank.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure the bank isn't looking for your Federal Employment number? EIN number.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Are you sure the bank isn't looking for your Federal Employment number? EIN number.
I think that's what it is as well.

To have a business bank account, you need an EIN.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

No She didn't mention that. I went to the banks website and this is what's needed.

Quote:
All online applicants will need to provide a Social Security number, birthdate, physical address and email address.
About your business
To apply online, your business should have been legally formed and operate primarily in the U.S.
Be ready to provide a legal business name, address, date business was established and business tax ID.
All applicants will need to send supplemental business documents within 10 days of application submission. See which documents your business needs
Quote:
Bank of America, like all financial institutions, is required by federal law to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each customer who opens an account. When a customer opens an account, we will ask for the customer’s legal name, address, tax identification number and other identifying information. We may ask for copies of business licenses or other documents evidencing the existence and good standing of the entity. For individuals, including sole proprietors, we may ask for the date of birth, and may also ask to see photo identification or other identifying documents.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It says you need an EIN number. (Business tax ID). Set your business up properly and you will reduce your head aches. I utilized a company called "My Corporation" to set mine up. Others did it themselves. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is more I found on what they need.

Quote:
Required documents: Sole proprietor

Details you’ll need to apply online:

- Business tax ID
- Date business was formed
- Country and state of legal formation (formed in U.S. to apply online)
- Country and state of primary business operation (must be a U.S.-operating business)
- Legal business name and DBA (“doing business as”) name, if applicable

Additional documents to send us:

- Business name filing document, or
- Business license (if a business name filing document was not filed)

Documents must have proof of filing from the state or county.

If you are conducting business using a DBA (doing business as), fictitious name, trade name or assumed name, please include one of the following additional documents (document must bear the business name you’ve adopted and be in good standing and current):

- Fictitious name certificate
- Certificate of trade name
- Assumed name certificate
- DBA certificate
Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
It says you need an EIN number. (Business tax ID). Set your business up properly and you will reduce your head aches. I utilized a company called "My Corporation" to set mine up. Others did it themselves. Good luck.
I guess I will have to see my accountant then. He should be able to provide me with the proper documents. He set my company up many years ago.

I wanted the business license to safe guard my business name.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tax ID, not business license..

In NJ, you have to have a contractor license if you are a "Home Improvement Contractor". So if you are just doing lawn maintenance you do not have to have one, but if you are doing installations you need to be a registered contractor.

For the business name you just need to register that.